Identical Strangers: A Memoir of Twins Separated and Reunited by Elyse Schein, Paula Bernstein (Paperback / softback)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $19.30Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by blackwelloxford
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.93+ AU $25.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionElyse Schein had always kwn she was adopted, but it wasn t until her mid-thirties while living in Paris that she searched for her biological mother. What she found instead was shocking: She had an identical twin sister. What s more, after being separated as infants, she and her sister had been, for a time, part of a secret study on separated twins.Paula Bernstein, a married writer and mother living in New York, also knew she was adopted, but had inclination to find her birth mother. When she answered a call from her adoption agency one spring afteron, Paula s life suddenly divided into two starkly different periods: the time before and the time after she learned the truth. As they reunite, taking their tentative first steps from strangers to sisters, Paula and Elyse are left with haunting questions surrounding their origins and their separation. And when they investigate their birth mother s past, the sisters move closer toward solving the puzzle of their lives. Praise for Identical Strangers Winner of a Books for a Better Life Award Remarkable . . . powerful . . . [an] extraordinary experience . . . The reader is left to marvel at the reworking of individual identities required by one discovery and then ather. Boston Sunday Globe [A] poignant memoir of twin sisters who were split up as infants, became part of a secret scientific study, then found each other as adults. Reader s Digest (Editors Choice) [A] fascinating memoir . . . Weaving studies about twin science into their personal reflections . . . Schein and Bernstein provide an intelligent exploration of how identity intersects with bloodlines. A must-read for anyone interested in what it means to be a family. Bust Identical Strangers has all the heart-stopping drama you d expect. But it has so much more the authors emotional honesty and clear-eyed insights turn this unique story into a universal one. As you accompany the twins on their search for the truth of their birth, you witness ather kind of birth the germination and flowering of sisterly love. Deborah Tannen, author of You re Wearing That?
- Author BiographyElyse Schein is a writer and filmmaker. Her short films I Steal Happiness and Private Dick have been shown at the Telluride Film Festival and at cinemas in Prague and San Francisco. A graduate of Stony Brook University, she studied film at FAMU, Prague s Film and TV School of the Academy of Performing Arts. She has also worked as an English teacher, photographer, and translator. Schein lives in Brooklyn. Paula Bernstein is a freelance writer whose work has been published in The New York Times, New York, The Village Voice, and Redbook, among other publications. Formerly a reporter at Variety and The Hollywood Reporter, Bernstein has also been a regular contributor to CNN. A graduate of Wellesley College, she has a master s degree in cinema studies from New York University. Bernstein lives in Brooklyn with her husband and two daughters. From the Hardcover edition.
- Author(s)Elyse Schein,Paula Bernstein
- PublisherRandom House USA Inc
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectAutobiography: General
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintRandom House Inc
- Out-of-print date30/11/2015
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight240 g
- Width133 mm
- Height204 mm
- Spine17 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.