Job$ in the Drug Indu$try: a Career Guide for Chemists by Richard J. Friary (Paperback, 2000)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $76.33Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $20.18+ AU $24.99 postage
- Good condition
- Sold by whattaplace
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is intended to help newly graduated chemists, particularly organic chemists, at all levels from bachelors to post-doctorates, find careers in the North American pharmaceutical industry. It will serve as a practical, detailed guidebook for job seekers as well a reference work for faculty advisers, research supervisors, development officers, employment agents, and personnel managers in the industry. The book gathers in a single volume the fundamentals of getting an industrial job as a medicinal or process chemist, and covers all aspects of a chemist's job - scientific, financial, and managerial - within a pharmaceutical/biotechlogy company. Other scientists looking for jobs as analytical or physical chemists and even biochemists and biologists will find the book useful. The valuable appendix is a unique compendium of 365 commercial, governmental, or n-profit institutions that comprise the North American pharmaceutical industry. It helps you learn how to: discover the 12 permanent, big-pharma jobs for B.S. chemists; use the 500+ company index to locate potential employers; track pharma openings with 190+ corporate and chemist-specific job banks; add industry veterans to your employment network; find the 50+ companies offering paid summer internships to students; include the one resume item that wins interviews for B. S. and M.S. chemists; express a kwledgeable preference for drug discovery or development; research over 360 drug companies through their Web sites; discover the 70+ firms offering stock purchase plans or stock options and which two represent big pharma; and, find out your salary offer in time to negotiate your wages.
- Author BiographyRichard Friary, Ph.D., is a synthetic organic and medicinal chemist employed by the Schering-Plough Research Institute. This institute forms the discovery and development arm of a fully integrated multinational pharmaceutical company. The author's combined experience in this company and CIBA-Geigy (now part of Novartis) spans nearly 30 years.As a senior principal scientist, the writer is an accomplished chemical researcher who discovered a safe and effective drug that relieves psoriasis and dermatitis. He was instrumental in steering the experimental medicine to clinical trials in human beings and in developing it afterward. Dr. Friary is among the few chemists ever to have made a drug that entered clinical studies in human beings, and among fewer still whose drug passed clinical trials. Eighteen patents and 31 articles name him as an inventor and an author.Born in 1942, Richard Friary is a native of Biddeford, Maine, and a graduate of Colby (B.A., 1964) and Dartmouth Colleges (M.A., 1966) and of Fordham University (Ph.D., 1970). He is a veteran of the R. B. Woodward Research Institute in Basel, Switzerland, where he worked as a postdoctoral researcher from 1970 to 1973. There he learned medicinal chemistry by making cephalosporin C analogs as antibacterial agents, and organic synthesis through a total synthesis of prostaglandin F 2a. Only a few chemists ever wrote as many as two articles with the finest organic chemist of all time, the late R. B. Woodward, and Friary is one of them.
- Author(s)Richard J. Friary
- PublisherElsevier Science Publishing Co Inc
- Date of Publication05/06/2000
- SubjectIndustrial Studies: General
- Place of PublicationSan Diego
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAcademic Press Inc
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight575 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $61.99Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $24.60Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.