All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionMarket forces have profoundly affected the contemporary research university's fundamental tasks of creating and disseminating kwledge. They arguably have provided American universities access to greater wealth, better students, and stronger links with the ecomy. Yet they also have exaggerated inequalities, diminished the university's control over its own activities, and weakened the university's mission of serving the public. Incorporating twenty years of research and new data covering 99 research universities, Kwledge and Money explains this paradox by assessing how market forces have affected universities in four key spheres of activity: finance, undergraduate education, primary research, and participation in regional and national ecomic development. The book begins by chronicling how universities have enlarged revenues by optimizing tuitions, and how they have managed these funds. It reveals why competition for the best students through selective undergraduate admissions has led to increased student consumerism and weakened university control over learning. The book also explains why research has become an increasingly automous activity within the university, expanding faster than class instruction or faculty resources. Finally, it shows how the linkage of research to ecomic development has engendered closer ties with industry and encouraged the commercialization of kwledge.
- Author BiographyRoger L. Geiger is Distinguished Professor of Higher Education at Penn State University. He has written extensively on research universities and the history of higher education.
- Author(s)Roger L. Geiger
- PublisherStanford University Press
- Date of Publication04/05/2004
- SubjectAdult & Further Education
- Place of PublicationPalo Alto
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintStanford University Press
- Content Note17 tables, 16 figures
- Weight454 g
- Width3895 mm
- Height5830 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.64Trending at AU $111.11
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $78.04
- AU $18.76Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.