All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA young girl sees a man rape and murder her mother. She grabs a stick and puts out his eye. Her father raises her as a boy so she will be safe from men's attacks. She practices and practices until she becomes a great fighter - Lancelot. She wants to protect women, and she does. Lancelot hears about King Arthur, a just king across the sea, and journeys to earn a place at Camelot. She vows to serve him, but fears that Arthur and his men will discover that she is a woman and send her away. Lancelot is shocked to realize that she is falling in love with the king's wife, Guinevere. Guinevere is a strong woman who would have preferred to be queen in her own right, t just through marriage. Saxons attack Arthur's kingdom, and Lancelot finds out that fighting a war is far different from saving women in single combat. The savagery of war devastates her. According to Curious Wine author Katherine V. Forrest, Lancelot: Her Story takes a place alongside Nicola Griffith's brilliant Hild (2013, set in the Middle Ages), in its highly detailed depiction of life in medieval times, in its reimagining of the Arthurian legends, specifically that blest, purest of heart Knight of the Round Table, that polestar of the Arthurian legends, Lancelot. The story is both ingenious and suspenseful in its reworking of the tapestry of medieval times and its endless wars through a feminist prism.
- Author BiographyCarol Anne Douglas received a master's degree in political science from UCLA. She has always been torn between politics and literature. She has written more than 200 essays published in the feminist press and spent many years as an editor. She taught Women's Studies at George Washington University. Since she was a girl, she has loved the Arthurian legends, particularly the character Lancelot. This is the first of two volumes about the beauty and tragedy of Camelot from the perspective of a female Lancelot. Sherwood Smith, author of CROWN DUEL, said Of all the Arthuriana I've read and loved, LANCELOT: HER STORY is right up top. It hearkens back to the galloping, castellated feel of Malory, and yet its twist speaks to today's audiences.
- Author(s)Carol Anne Douglas
- PublisherHermione Books
- Date of Publication04/11/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectScience Fiction & Fantasy
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHermione Books
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight916 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine36 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $47.99Trending at AU $53.14
- AU $12.83Trending at AU $16.78
- AU $62.20Trending at AU $74.33
- AU $11.81Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $19.77Trending at AU $20.54
- AU $29.20Trending at AU $31.08
- AU $47.07Trending at AU $49.55
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.