All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.82
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.31
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $74.95
- AU $28.70Trending at AU $37.00
- AU $24.97Trending at AU $28.26
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.32
About this product
- DescriptionThis book contains an important collection of essays by an international cast of scholars, experts and fans. It provides a one-stop resource for all those who want to learn more about Manga, as well as for anybody teaching a course on the subject. Once upon a time, one had to read Japanese in order to enjoy manga. Today manga has become a global phemen, attracting audiences worldwide. The style has become so popular, in fact, that in the US and UK publishers are appropriating the manga style in a variety of print material. Comic publishers such as Dark Horse and Viz are translating Japanese classics, such as Fruits Basket , into English. And of course it wasn't long before Shakespeare received the manga treatment. So what is manga?Manga roughly translates as 'whimsical pictures' and its long history traces all the way back to picture books from eighteenth century Japan. Today, it comes in two basic forms: anthology magazines that contain several serials and manga 'books' (tankobon) that collect long-running serials from the anthologies and reprint them in one volume. The anthologies contain several serials and are so dense that they are colloquially kwn as phone books.Containing sections addressing the manga industry on an international scale, the different genres, formats and artists, as well the fans themselves, Manga: An Anthology of Global and Cultural Perspectives is an important collection of essays.
- Author BiographyToni Johnson-Woods is a lecturer in Contemporary Studies at the University of Queensland. She has published three books on popular culture including Big and Gone But Not Forgotten (National Library of Australia, 2004).
- PublisherBloomsbury Publishing PLC
- Date of Publication03/06/2010
- SubjectDesign & Commercial Art
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintContinuum International Publishing Group Ltd.
- Content Note11 bw illustrations
- Weight703 g
- Width153 mm
- Height228 mm
- Spine28 mm
- Edited byToni Johnson-Woods
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.