All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionOf Stones and Man explores the many errors of judgement made by civilizations both ancient and modern across the world. Arrogance and a penchant for excess drove mankind to build ever greater and more ambitious edifices. The author analyzes these works from a scientific and historically-sensitive perspective, highlighting the hydro-geological background to repeated infamous disasters, from the faults inherent in the Sphinx to the leaning Tower of Pisa. Beautifully illustrated throughout, Of Stones and Man is a testament to the impermanence of our surroundings. It questions how the earth and its resources have borne the cumulative burden placed upon it over the ages by one civilization after ather, and how, in turn, the earth has exacted its inevitable revenge on the great constructions of our ancestors. Of Stones and Man is the final work of Jean Kerisel (1908-2005) who served as President of the International Society for Soil Mechanics and Foundation Engineering from 1973 to 1977, and who worked worldwide as a consultant on many ambitious engineering projects. Driven by his great passion for Ancient Builders and Egyptology, Kerisel here extends his professional kwledge into the realms of historical architecture.
- Author BiographyJean Kerisel was involved in a number of large-scale engineering projects, including the seven kilometer Maracaibo bridge linking the Northern part of Venezuela to Caracas. He was also involved in the construction of an industrial harbour in Sibari, Italy, and a dam in Brittany, France. He became advisor to construction companies working on the Paris metro and advised on express underground systems in other lands, for example Cairo. After chancing upon artefacts of ancient Egyptian activities at the bottom of excavation during the construction of the Cairo line, he visited all the main Pyramids and it was this research which led to a number of highly readable books.
- Author(s)Jean Kerisel
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/09/2005
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight635 g
- Width214 mm
- Height285 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsB-format paperback
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.