All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhy do citizens demand that their political systems be democratic, but tolerate autocratic rule within their organizations? Why do governments spend trillions to aid corporations in spite of intense opposition by the vast majority of their citizens? Why do most people accept cultural myths about ecomies and organizations in spite of contradictory evidence, while others resist them? This book argues that the answers lie in the power of organizational rhetoric--the strategic use of symbols to manipulate popular opinion and political power. Organizational Rhetoricmines the mythical systems that underlie corporate influence and explains how corporate rhetors use these mythologies to create and sustain preferential public policies and favorable images. Each chapter also examines resistance to these mythologies, and concludes with an illustrative case study. This accessible and engaging book asks readers to think carefully and critically about domination and resistance. Moreover, it engages them in an analysis of how their own practices contribute to underlying structures and ideologies, and how their actions could contribute to change.
- Author BiographyCharles Conrad is Professor and Honors Scholar-Teacher at Texas A&M University.
- Author(s)Charles R. Conrad
- PublisherPolity Press
- Date of Publication02/09/2011
- SubjectManagement & Business: General
- Series TitlePolity Key Themes in Organizational Communication
- Place of PublicationOxford
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPolity Press
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight500 g
- Width153 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine26 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.68Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.15Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.88Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.