Best-selling in Audio Books
Save on Audio Books
- AU $21.43Trending at AU $26.91
- AU $18.16Trending at AU $34.92
- AU $14.83Trending at AU $18.25
- AU $18.79Trending at AU $25.33
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $45.08
- AU $27.53Trending at AU $38.07
- AU $12.94Trending at AU $13.34
About this product
- DescriptionA family doctor with limited surgical experience, Dr. Dave Hnida volunteered for two tours of duty in Iraq-first as a battalion surgeon with a combat unit and then as trauma chief at the busiest Combat Support Hospital (CSH) during the Surge. With honesty and candor, and the goofy, self-deprecating humor that sustained him and his fellow doctors through their darkest hours, he provides an astonishing firsthand account of the psychological horror show of conducting medical care in the front lines of an unscripted war.Like a modern-day M*A*S*H, Dr. Hnida and his team conducted surgery under terrible conditions in a series of tents connected to the occasional run-down building. With an unrelenting caseload, his CSH, the only one staffed by reservists-older, more experienced physicians (who were also more disdainful of authority)-soon became the medivac destination of choice because of their high survival rate, an astounding 99.5 percent.Dr. Hnida has suffered some very dark hours. Not only were nine of the students killed in the Columbine shootings his family practice patients, but his daughter, a place kicker and the first female to score a point in an NCAA Division I football game, was the victim in a widely publicized rape case. He took from these events t hopelessness but rather an overwhelming desire to help as many young people as he could. His decision, at forty-eight, to enlist as a reservist in the Iraq war, is a true testament to his commitment to fulfill that goal.
- Author BiographyDr. Dave Hnida is a family physician and medical commentator. He has worked as a local and national correspondent for NBC and CBS, and has made appearances on the Today show and The Early Show. He is also a national spokesperson for the U.S. Army National Reserve. He lives with his family in Littleton, Colorado. George K. Wilson has narrated over one hundred fiction and nonfiction audiobook titles, from Thomas L. Friedman to Thomas Pynchon, and has won several AudioFile Earphones Awards. He spent ten years in broadcast news, including for the American Forces Radio and Television Service and for rock radio in San Diego and Los Angeles. An American Academy of Dramatic Arts, West, graduate, his acting career includes stage, film, television, commercials, improvisational comedy, and stand-up. George has written and performed in over five hundred nationally syndicated short news satire features for public radio and NPR and has received a national Corporation for Public Broadcasting Gold Award for Best Public Service Program. He has also scripted and hosted corporate videos for Sony, Merck, IBM, and Price Waterhouse. He is currently working on a suspense short story collection and a thriller novel.
- Author(s)Dave Hnida
- PublisherTantor Media, Inc
- Date of Publication27/04/2010
- SubjectAutobiography: Historical, Political & Military
- Place of PublicationOld Saybrook, CT
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTantor Media, Inc
- Out-of-print date04/02/2017
- Weight162 g
- Width172 mm
- Height165 mm
- Spine24 mm
- Narrator(s)George K. Wilson
- Format DetailsCD standard audio format
- Running Time630
- Edition StatementLibrary ed
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.