All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis edited collection draws together diverse international work on formulaic language such as idioms, collocations, lexical bundles and phrasal verbs. Formulaic sequences are more or less fixed word combinations such as idioms, collocations, lexical bundles, phrasal verbs and so on. Study in this area has grown over the past fifteen years, despite the fact that there are academic journals or conferences devoted to this topic. This edited collection is an attempt to draw together the diverse international work on formulaic language. It features an introduction by Dr Regina Weinert, a pioneer and expert in the study of formulaic language in acquisition. The authors have an international scope, from China and Italy to Armenia, Canada and Britain. The book is divided into three sections: Formulaic Language in Acquisition and Pedagogy; Identification and Psycholinguistic Processing of Formulaic Language; and, Communicative Functions of Formulaic Language. The topics of the papers are as varied as the geographic locations of the authors - critical discourse analysis, psycholinguistics, memorization, corpus analysis, specific languages such as Arabic, and even Beowulf and blogging language. This volume represents a step forward for the study of formulaic language, offering diverse, often previously unexplored perspectives from international researchers, advancing kwledge in invative ways. It makes a fresh contribution the growing number of works on this topic and will appeal to researchers and academics working with formulaic language throughout linguistics.
- Author BiographyDavid Wood, Assistant Professor, School of Linguistics and Language Studies, Carleton University, Ottawa, Canada. David Wood teaches applied linguistics at Carleton University, where his research interests lie in formulaic language, acquisition of L2 spoken language and academic discourse, and language teacher education. He has taught English language and applied linguistics in Canada, Greece, and Japan.
- PublisherContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Date of Publication11/02/2010
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintContinuum Publishing Corporation
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, black & white tables, figures
- Weight499 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine23 mm
- Edited byDavid Wood
Best Selling in Textbooks
Marketing Management: an Asian Perspective by Swee Hoon Ang, Kevin Lane Keller, Siew-Meng Leong, Chin Tiong Tan, Philip Kotler (Paperback, 2013)
- AU $72.16New
- AU $64.84Used
- AU $78.59New
- AU $105.40New
- AU $75.53Used
Save on Textbooks
- AU $64.22Trending at AU $77.49
- AU $21.87Trending at AU $23.06
- AU $19.90Trending at AU $22.97
- AU $17.62Trending at AU $19.40
- AU $70.00Trending at AU $88.31
- AU $84.90Trending at AU $87.71
- AU $89.90Trending at AU $94.39
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.