All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.82
About this product
- DescriptionFor the Romantics, music was the most powerful of all the arts, a language beyond language, unapproachable by words. This is an experience shared, albeit in different ways, by all those writing about music: however well one may describe and analyse music, the sheer presence of every te, its power over the moment, cant be conveyed by words. In 1938, the American William Gottlieb found he could compensate for the limitations of his jazz reviews with photography. Pictures went beyond what I could say with words , he remembers. Today my writing is all but forgotten, but the photographs live on. The picture as a manifestation of the invisible, carrying an echo of vanished music. Karl-Heinz Schmitt is an improvising photographer. He sets up thing, stages poses or situations, and works with available light. He photographs what he finds. He goes to see concerts in Den Haag, Duisburg, Bochum and Bonn, and he takes his camera. He goes to concerts because he is interested in music. Taking pictures, he says, is just a by-product, a hobby that puts him under pressure to succeed. Neither does he seek attention, to push towards the front rows or mingle with the musicians. Schmitt, the photographer, remains in his seat, hopes for sufficient light and waits politely for those moments when a click won't disturb. He uses more than three rolls of film per night from which he selects the best pictures, the lucky strikes. The pictures in this book have never been published before; some he may have put up in his photo shop in Andernach for a while but he did t sell them to the papers. A by-product, after all. -- taken from the Introduction.
- Author BiographyKarl-Heinz Schmitt, With an introduction by Hans-Jurgen Schaal
- Author(s)Karl-Heinz Schmitt
- PublisherNieswand-Verlag GmbH.
- Date of Publication16/11/2000
- Place of PublicationKiel
- Country of PublicationGermany
- ImprintNieswand-Verlag GmbH.
- Content Notecolour & b/w photos
- Weight980 g
- Width330 mm
- Height245 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Introduction byHans-Jurgen Schaal
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.