All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.73
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThe saga of the Three Kingdoms -- which recounts the dramatic story of the civil wars (c. 180220 CE) that divided the old Han Empire into the Shu, Wei, and Wu states -- remains as popular as ever in China, having served as the basis of t only traditional operas and ballads, but also, in more recent years, of movies, television dramas, and video games. Translated into English for the first time here, the Sanguozhi pinghua (thirteenth century CE) provides a complete and fast-paced narrative account of the events of the period, from the beginning of the civil wars to the demise of the Three Kingdoms and the short-lived reunification of the realm by the Jin dynasty. Shorter, clearer, and more accessible to Western audiences than Luo Guanzhongs later, greatly expanded Romance (Sanguo yanyi) -- and beautifully rendered in this edition by two modern-day masters of the art of Chinese literary translation -- the Records of the Three Kingdoms in Plain Language provides an ideal introduction to one of the foundational Chinese epic traditions. Tables of major Chinese dynasties and reigns, a guide to understanding formal Chinese naming conventions, a glossary of Chinese names and terms, and reproductions of some woodcuts from the original edition of the text are included.
- Author BiographyWilt L Idema is Professor of Chinese Literature, Harvard University. Stephen H West is Foundation Professor of Chinese, Arizona State University.
- PublisherHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Date of Publication01/09/2016
- Place of PublicationCambridge, MA
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintHackett Publishing Co, Inc
- Content Noteillus
- Weight310 g
- Width155 mm
- Height230 mm
- Translated byWilt L. Idema,Stephen H. West
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.