All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIndia's growing ecomic and socio-political importance on the global stage has triggered an increased interest in the country. Now available in paperback, this Handbook is a reference guide, which surveys the current state of Indian politics and provides a basic understanding of the ways in which the world's largest democracy functions. The Handbook is structured around four main topics: political change, political ecomy, the diversity of regional development, and the changing role of India in the world. Chapters examine how and why democracy in India put down firm roots, but also why the quality of governance offered by India's democracy continues to be low. The acceleration of ecomic growth since the mid-1980s is discussed, and the Handbook goes on to look at the political and ecomic changes in selected states, and how progress across Indian states continues to be uneven. It concludes by touching on the issue of India's international relations, both in South Asia and the wider world. The Handbook offers an invigorating initiation into the seemingly daunting and complex terrain of Indian politics. It is an invaluable resource for academics, researchers, policy analysts, and graduate and undergraduate students studying Indian politics.
- Author BiographyAtul Kohli is David Bruce Professor of Politics and International Affairs at Princeton University, USA. His principal research interests are in the areas of comparative political economy with a focus on the developing countries. Prerna Singh is Mahatma Gandhi Assistant Professor of Political Science and International and Public Affairs and faculty fellow at the Watson Institute, Brown University, USA. Her research interests are in the areas of comparative politics, development, identity politics, and South and East Asia.
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication01/03/2016
- SubjectPolitics: General & Reference
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note25 black & white illustrations, 16 black & white tables, 3 black & white halftones, 22 black & white line drawings
- Weight703 g
- Width174 mm
- Height246 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Edited byAtul Kohli,Prerna Singh
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $57.99Trending at AU $62.11
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.61
- AU $73.14Trending at AU $74.82
- AU $50.28Trending at AU $53.01
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.50
- AU $37.59Trending at AU $40.09
- AU $34.15Trending at AU $35.14
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.