All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionRussia's Skinheads: Exploring and Rethinking Subcultural Lives provides a thorough examination of the phemen of skinheads, explaining its nature and its significance, and assessing how far Russian skinhead subculture is the 'lumpen' end of the extreme nationalist ideological spectrum. There are large numbers of skinheads in Russia, responsible for a significant number of xephobic attacks, including 97 deaths in 2008 alone, making this book relevant to Russian specialists as well as to sociologists of youth subculture. It provides a practical example of how to investigate youth subculture in depth over an extended period - in this case through empirical research following a specific group over six years - and goes on to argue that Russian skinhead subculture is t a direct import from the West, and that youth cultural practices should t be reduced to expressions of consumer choice. It presents an understanding of the Russian skinhead as a product of individuals' whole, and evolving, lives, and thereby compels sociologists to rethink how they conceive the nature of subcultures.
- Author BiographyHilary Pilkington is former Professor of Sociology at the Department of Sociology, University of Warwick, and former Director of the Centre for Russian and East European Studies at the University of Birmingham. She is now a Professor of Sociology at the University of Manchester. Elena Omel'chenko is Professor of Sociology and Head of Department of Sociology at the Higher School of Economics, St Petersburg, and Director of the Scientific Research Centre Region, Ul'ianovsk. Al'bina Garifzianova is a Senior Research Fellow at the Scientific Research Centre Region, Ul'ianovsk.
- Author(s)Al'Bina Garifzianova,Elena Omel'Chenko,Hilary Pilkington
- PublisherTaylor & Francis Ltd
- Date of Publication05/05/2010
- SubjectSocial Studies: General
- Series TitleRoutledge Contemporary Russia and Eastern Europe Series
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- Content Note60 black & white illustrations, 1 black & white tables, 1 black & white line drawings
- Weight589 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Format DetailsPaper over boards
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $16.08Trending at AU $23.14
- AU $69.60Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.