All listings for this product
Best-selling in Other Children & Young Adults
Save on Other Children & Young Adults
- AU $138.24Trending at AU $169.12
- AU $26.82Trending at AU $29.63
- AU $64.00Trending at AU $70.54
- AU $15.16Trending at AU $23.79
- AU $36.20Trending at AU $44.79
- AU $33.79Trending at AU $49.82
- AU $24.72Trending at AU $29.63
About this product
- DescriptionMeet Satchel Paige, Josh Gibson, and other baseball heroes in this unique radio broadcast reenactment of a legendary All-Star Game, marking a pivotal time in sports history.1934, Chicago. Come step back in time to witness the best of the best Negro League players take each other on in one of the most fascinating All-Star ballgames in American history. Using a unique radio broadcast transcript, Coretta Scott King Award Winner Charles R. Smith, Jr. has recreated this momentous event with a lively play-by-play retelling of the second annual Negro League East-West Game. Meet legendary players like Satchel Paige, Turkey Stearness, and Cool Pappa Bell, hang in the stands with the fans, and experience this exhilarating untold, true story--with a lyrical twist. Stars in the Shadows is a must-have for any baseball aficionado or anyone interested in forgotten history. Beautifully packaged and with incredible black-and-white illustrations by Frank Morrison, this is a rare and extraordinary book.
- Author BiographyCharles R. Smith Jr. is an acclaimed poet and the Coretta Scott King Award-winning illustrator of My People, a picture book based on the poem by Langston Hughes. He is also the illustrator of If, and he won the Coretta Scott King Author Honor for his book Twelve Rounds To Glory. He grew up in California and attended the Brooks Institute of Photography. A magazine and book cover photographer in addition to a picture book creator, Charles now lives with his wife and son in Poughkeepsie, New York. Visit him on the web at CharlesRSmithJr.com. Frank Morrison is the illustrator of many books, including Miz Mosetta by Brenda C. Roberts, for which he received the Coretta Scott King - John Steptoe Award for New Talent, Out of the Ball Park by Alex Rodriguez, and Long Shot by Chris Paul.
- Author(s)Charles R Smith Jr
- PublisherAtheneum Books for Young Readers
- Date of Publication03/01/2012
- SubjectChildren's General Interest & Leisure
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintAtheneum Books for Young Readers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight295 g
- Width157 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Illustrator(s)Frank Morrison
- Format DetailsUnsewn / adhesive bound,Paper over boards,With dust jacket
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.