The Amish Farmer Who Hated L.A.: And 8 Other Modern-Day Allegories by Tim Reddish (Paperback / softback, 2015)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $16.05Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by simplybestprices-10to20dayshipping
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $13.88+ AU $6.00 postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhich stories will you recognize? In The Amish Farmer Who Hated L.A., a journalist recounts his interview with Mervin Hostetler, an old, bearded farmer living in Amish country in Goshen, Indiana. Old man Hostetler prattles on about how he once refused God's request that he preach to the wayward people of Los Angeles. Instead, Mervin offered to visit India, figuring he had a better chance of a warm reception there. But things went from bad to worse, and Hostetler found himself adrift at sea in a tiny life raft that is, until he was rescued by a whale of a nuclear submarine that happened by. Get the idea? This story and the others in this light-hearted collection will likely ring a familiar te with students of the Bible. Woven creatively by author Tim Reddish, these entertaining short stories are based on biblical incidents or themes, retold in fresh ways, often with subtle wit or a surprising twist. Cultural distance and over-familiarity can cause beloved biblical narratives to fail to shock or challenge us. Hence, their power to transform our lives is lessened. Humor, on the other hand, can throw us off our guard, often allowing a story's message to penetrate our hearts. These nine contemporary retellings draw from both the Old and New Testaments, communicating themes that still have something meaningful to impart to modern-day Christians. Although this is storytelling-t a nuanced, academic work, -individuals and small groups will be challenged by discussion questions and prompts at the end of each chapter.
- Author BiographyDr. Tim Reddish earned his MDiv from Knox College, University of Toronto, and his PhD in physics from Manchester University, UK. Until 2011, he was a professor of physics at the University of Windsor (Ontario) researching in the area of experimental atomic and molecular physics. He spent his formative years in Nigeria, where his parents were missionaries. Tim's first wife died of cancer; their son and his family live in Edmonton. Now remarried, Tim enjoys being a stepdad to four children. He and his family live in Windsor. He loves reading theology, watching British detective stories and period dramas, F1 racing, and photography.
- Author(s)Tim Reddish
- PublisherDeep River Books LLC
- Date of Publication30/07/2015
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintDeep River Books LLC
- Weight113 g
- Width122 mm
- Height201 mm
- Spine10 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $71.91New
- AU $31.03New
- AU $16.40New
- AU $12.81Used
- AU $79.40New
- AU $18.71New
- AU $113.12New
- AU $22.40New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $26.24Trending at AU $31.03
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.40
- AU $10.68Trending at AU $18.71
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.47
- AU $79.99Trending at AU $85.15
- AU $10.54Trending at AU $14.54
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.