All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $24.68Trending at AU $42.56
- AU $78.00Trending at AU $87.92
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.76
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.54
- AU $82.89Trending at AU $85.42
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.41
- AU $34.72Trending at AU $42.64
About this product
- DescriptionThe art of Franz and Ferdinand Bauer was praised by the poet and botanist Johann Goethe as the perfect expression of the aims of botanical illustration. The book examines the contrasting lives of Franz (1758-1840), for 50 years the resident artist at Kew Gardens, and Ferdinand (1760-1826) who led a life of travel and adventure as a natural history artist including participating in the historic voyage to Australia of HMS Investigator in the early nineteenth century. It is illustrated with images from the superb archive of Bauer drawings at the Natural History Museum Library, many of which have never been published before. These include beautiful and finely detailed watercolours of flowering plants collected from across the world, pioneering microscopical drawings of plant anatomy and pictures of the newly discovered animals from the coasts of Australia. The book is published to tie-in with a new art exhibition opening at the Natural History Museum in November 2015.
- Author BiographyPaul Martyn Cooper is a Special Collections Librarian at the Natural History Museum where he has worked for 28 years. Paul's work has focused on the acquisition and curation of the Life Sciences literature. Since 2011 he has had a special responsibility for artwork, manuscripts and rare books. Paul has a longstanding interest in the history of the Library collections and in promoting knowledge about the collections and enhancing access to them.
- Author(s)Paul Martyn Cooper
- PublisherThe Natural History Museum
- Date of Publication01/10/2015
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleImages of Nature
- Series Part/Volume Number4
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe Natural History Museum
- Content NoteOver 100 colour artworks
- Weight400 g
- Width216 mm
- Height253 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.