All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionSTORIES OF THE MAD, THE BAD, THE CURIOUS AND THE INEXPLICABLE IN HUMAN BEHAVIOUR A daisy chain of eight interlinking stories that read like a vel, this dazzling collection from Cuban-born writer Sonia Rivera-Valdes introduces a circle of loosely connected Latin immigrants in New York City who drift in and out of each other's bizarre lives. Mayte is a Cuban journalist who is married but tormented by her love for her female cousin. Rodolfo is Mayte's co-worker with an uncontrollable lust for his odorous fat neighbour. Rodolfo's friend is a gay man oddly obsessed with straight porn, and Marta is an abused housewife who finds liberation from her philandering husband with self-help books that advise her to poison him to death. Beneath the wry and often black humour of this collection is a serious examination of the coming together of Anglo and Lati cultures.
- Author BiographySonia Rivera-Valdes was born in Cuba and first lived in New York City in 1966. Currently professor of Latin American Literature at York College, she has had short fiction included in a number of anthologies including Cubana and Dream with No Name. She was also only the second Cuban residing outside the island to receive the Casa de las Americas Literature Award.
- Author(s)Dick Cluster,Sonia Rivera-Valdes
- PublisherSeven Stories Press,U.S.
- Date of Publication05/04/2001
- SubjectShort Stories & Fiction Anthologies
- Place of PublicationNew York
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintSeven Stories Press,U.S.
- Weight327 g
- Width145 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine17 mm
Best-selling in Fiction Books
- AU $71.91New
- AU $31.03New
- AU $16.40New
- AU $12.81Used
- AU $79.36New
- AU $18.71New
- AU $109.48New
- AU $22.40New
Save on Fiction Books
- AU $26.95Trending at AU $30.78
- AU $26.13Trending at AU $31.03
- AU $76.69Trending at AU $79.36
- AU $16.95Trending at AU $21.47
- AU $74.56Trending at AU $83.21
- AU $10.58Trending at AU $16.84
- AU $17.67Trending at AU $20.89
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.