All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionTwo decades of lockouts, soaring ticket prices, and on-ice tinkering have convinced many hard-core fans that the NHL's long-time commissioner Gary Bettman is the devil in disguise, but this book examines his motivations, peels back his often prickly demear, and explains how he manages to lead, confound, and keep order. It details the unlikely ascension of a fatherless Jewish kid from Long Island--who never played hockey and can barely skate--to the sport's biggest job. The seven-fold increase in gross revenue during Bettman's 20-year tenure as NHL commissioner makes him a business success story, and on his watch, professional hockey has also expanded far beyond its regional strongholds. By taming the NHL's famously fractious owners, all but busting its players' union, and enforcing a lawyerly discipline even on trash talk, Bettman has become a figure of almost unrivaled power in the business of sports, and this biography delves into how his influence shapes rival leagues in other countries, dictates the schedule of the Olympic Winter Games, and spills onto the ice itself.
- Author BiographyJonathon Gatehouse is a senior correspondent for Maclean's weekly magazine and was formerly a reporter for the National Post and Montreal's Gazette. He lives in Toronto, Ontario.
- Author(s)Jonathon Gatehouse
- PublisherTriumph Books (IL)
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectBiography: Sport
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintTriumph Books (IL)
- Content Noteblack & white halftones, colour illustrations
- Weight567 g
- Width163 mm
- Height231 mm
- Spine33 mm
- Format DetailsSewn,Cloth over boards,With dust jacket
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.20Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.