All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis volume of original essays brings together, for the first time, histories of the making and of the makers of most of the major Indigeus Australian museum collections. These collections are a principal source of information on how Aboriginal people lived in the past. Kwing the context in which any collection was created-the intellectual frameworks within which the collectors were working, their collecting practices, what they failed to collect, and what Aboriginal people withheld-is vital to understanding how any collection relates to the Aboriginal society from which it was derived. Once made, collections have had mixed fates- some have become the jewel of a museum's holdings, while others have been divided and dispersed across the world, or retained but neglected. The essays in this volume raise issues about representation, institutional policies, the periodisation of collecting, intellectual history, material culture studies, Aboriginal culture and the idea of a 'collection'.
- Author BiographyNicolas Peterson is Professor of Anthropology and a Fellow of the Academy of the Social Sciences in Australia. His research is focused on land and sea tenure, Aboriginal engagement with the Australian economy, history of anthropology and photography of anthropological subjects. Lindy Allen is Senior Curator at Museum Victoria. Her research is primarily focused on material culture, visual anthropology and art, based on fieldwork across Arnhem Land and on Cape York Peninsula. Louise Hamby is a Postdoctoral Fellow in the Research School of Humanities at the Australian National University. Her research is principally focused on Arnhem Land material culture, both historic and contemporary.
- PublisherMelbourne University Press
- Date of Publication01/08/2008
- SubjectLibrary & Information Science
- Place of PublicationMelbourne
- Country of PublicationAustralia
- ImprintAcademic Monographs
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight757 g
- Width139 mm
- Height211 mm
- Spine34 mm
- Edited byNicolas Peterson
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $34.69Trending at AU $36.40
- AU $27.64Trending at AU $35.73
- AU $28.63Trending at AU $30.12
- AU $31.89Trending at AU $40.27
- AU $18.13Trending at AU $24.08
- AU $37.60Trending at AU $39.86
- AU $34.16Trending at AU $34.94
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.