All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAn indispensable guide for poets, readers, students, and teachers. The Poem s Heartbeat may well be the finest general book available on prosody. Library Journal (starred review) A provocative, definitive manual. Publishers Weekly Finally back in print, this slender, user-friendly guide to rhyme, rhythm, meter, and form sparks intuitive and technical lightning-flashes for poets and readers curious to kw a poem s inner workings. Clear, good-humored, and deeply readable, Alfred Corn s book is the modern classic on prosodythe art and science of poetic meter.Each of the book s ten chapters is a progressive, step-by-step presentation rich with examples to illustrate concepts such as line, stress, scansion marks, slant rhyme, and iambic pentameter. By the book s end, ted a rave review in The Boston Review, Corn, magi-teacher and impeccable guide, has taught the vice to become artist and magician. The Poem s Heartbeat also includes a selected bibliography and encourages readers and students to carry their investigations further. The word line comes from the Latin linea, itself derived from the word for a thread of linen. We can look at the lines of poetry as slender compositional units forming a weave like that of a textile. Indeed, the word text has the same origin as the word textile. It isn t difficult to compare the compositional process to weaving, where thread moves from left to right, reaches the margin of the text, then shuttles back to begin the next unit . . .
- Author BiographyAlfred Corn is a poet, novelist, and art critic. His poems appear regularly in The New Yorker, The Nation, and the New Republic. He has traveled widely and taught at many universities, including Columbia, UCLA, and Yale. He lives in New York.
- Author(s)Alfred Corn
- PublisherCopper Canyon Press
- Date of Publication01/10/2008
- FormatPaperback / softback
- SubjectLiterary Criticism
- Series TitleCopper Canyon Classics
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintCopper Canyon Press
- Weight245 g
- Width140 mm
- Height187 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US),Unsewn / adhesive bound
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.66Trending at AU $110.48
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $73.95
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.48
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $78.90
- AU $19.16Trending at AU $23.81
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $48.75
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.20
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.