All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionA fascinating new perspective on Native seafaring and colonial violence in the seventeenth-century American Northeast Andrew Lipman's eye-opening first book is the previously untold story of how the ocean became a frontier between colonists and Indians. When the English and Dutch empires both tried to claim the same patch of coast between the Hudson River and Cape Cod, the sea itself became the arena of contact and conflict. During the violent European invasions, the region's Algonquian-speaking Natives were navigators, boatbuilders, fishermen, pirates, and merchants who became active players in the emergence of the Atlantic World. Drawing from a wide range of English, Dutch, and archeological sources, Lipman uncovers a new geography of Native America that incorporates seawater as well as soil. Looking past Europeans' arbitrary land boundaries, he reveals unseen links between local episodes and global events on distant shores. Lipman's book successfully redirects the way we look at a familiar history (Neal Salisbury, Smith College). Extensively researched and elegantly written, this latest addition to Yale's seventeenth-century American history list brings the early years of New England and New York vividly to life.
- Author BiographyAndrew Lipman is assistant professor of history at Barnard College, Columbia University. He lives in New York City.
- Author(s)Andrew Lipman
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication05/01/2016
- SubjectRegional History
- Series TitleNew Directions in Narrative History
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note20 b/w illus.
- Weight681 g
- Width156 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine25 mm
- Format DetailsCloth over boards
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.37
- AU $35.06Trending at AU $40.71
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.35
- AU $18.96Trending at AU $24.44
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.03
- AU $16.98Trending at AU $18.30
- AU $51.96Trending at AU $53.08
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.