All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis second volume of passages gathered from the leading monks and teachers of the Pure Land, or Shin, school of Buddhist teaching focuses on religious practice. Extending from the foundational texts and first interpreters in the 4th century, to Rennyo in the 15th century, Professor Bloom's selections trace the development of Shin Buddhist teaching from monastic visualization practices to the widely popular path to salvation through faith in, and recitation of, the name of Amida Buddha. Volume 2 features a foreword by Kenneth K. Tanaka and an introduction by rewned scholar and editor, Alfred Bloom, whose selected passages have been arranged topically for easy reference on issues of Pure Land teaching. The key interpreters featured are the Seven Great Teachers from India, China, and Japan (Nagarjuna, Vasubandhu; T'an-luan, Tao-ch'o, Shan-tao; Genshin, Honen), selected as doctrinal authorities by Shinran (1173-1263), the founder of the Japanese Pure Land sect.
- Author BiographyAlfred Bloom, former professor at the University of Hawaii and Dean of the Institute of Buddhist Studies in Berkeley, California, is the author of Shinran's Gospel of Pure Grace and editor of The Essential Shinran, Living in Amida's Universal Vow, and The Shin Buddhist Classical Tradition: A Reader in Pure Land Teaching, Vol. 1. He lives in Kailua, HI.
- PublisherWorld Wisdom Books
- Date of Publication01/10/2014
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintWorld Wisdom Books
- Weight313 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine15 mm
- Edited byAlfred Bloom
- Foreword byKenneth K. Tanaka
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
- Edition Statement2nd Revised edition
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $79.89Trending at AU $90.30
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.29
- AU $24.13Trending at AU $27.75
- AU $41.84Trending at AU $49.87
- AU $31.46Trending at AU $40.58
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.44
- AU $35.26Trending at AU $35.87
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.