All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionIf the Viking Wars had t taken place, would there have been a united England in the tenth century? Martyn Whittock believes t, arguing that without them there would have been rise of the Godwin family and their conflict with Edward the Confessor, Norman connection, Norman Conquest and Domesday Book. All of these features of English history were the products, or by-products, of these conflicts and the threat of Scandinavian attack. The wars and responses to them accelerated ecomic growth; stimulated state formation and an assertive sense of an English national identity; created a hybrid Anglo-Scandinavian culture that spread beyond the so-called Danelaw; and caused an upheaval in the ruling elite. By looking at the entire period of the wars and by taking a holistic view of their political, ecomic, social and cultural effects, their many-layered impact can at last be properly assessed.
- Author BiographyMARTYN WHITTOCK is responsible for Spiritual, Moral, Social and Cultural development at Kingdown School, Warminster, and for twenty years was Head of History there and the author of thirty-six history titles, including The Origins of England, 410 - 600 (1986), A Brief History of Life in the Middle Ages (2009) and A Brief History of the Third Reich (2011). He lives in Wiltshire. HANNAH WHITTOCK read Anglo-Saxon, Norse & Celtic at Cambridge University and completed her Masters there in Anglo-Saxon history in 2012. She now works for the Devolved Welsh Government. Her published works include papers on the Annexation of Bath into Wessex and the Anglo-Saxon frontier of north-western Wiltshire (2012).
- Author(s)Hannah Whittock,Martyn J. Whittock
- PublisherThe History Press Ltd
- Date of Publication11/06/2013
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationStroud
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintThe History Press Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight476 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine22 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $50.71Trending at AU $61.55
- AU $72.89Trending at AU $75.73
- AU $32.59Trending at AU $36.88
- AU $30.35Trending at AU $40.12
- AU $30.37Trending at AU $31.39
- AU $28.02Trending at AU $30.05
- AU $14.47Trending at AU $16.66
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.