All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThis complete and authoritative work provides identification keys, full descriptions, and line drawings that make it possible to identify 383 native and naturalized species of trees, shrubs, and woody vines found in rthern Florida and adjacent Georgia and Alabama. Casual observers of the lower coastal plain may at first see a landscape dominated by pines. Closer observation reveals a great diversity of plants--patterns of contrasting vegetation caused by the complex physical and biotic factors at work. In this richly vegetated area, a rise of only four feet in elevation can bring significant changes in community composition, changes comparable, perhaps, to those occurring on a four-thousand-foot mountainside.The descriptions in this guide are useful t only for identification but also for their help in enhancing the user's kwledge of the plants. Each description is followed by information on the habitat in which the species is kwn to occur, the species' general location within the area under study, and its overall geographic range. Whenever possible, vegetative characteristics have been used in the keys so that the book is useful beyond the sometimes brief flowering seasons of the species. The use of technical termilogy has been minimized in the keys and descriptions, and a full glossary is provided.Based on thirty years of constant study and firsthand observation, Robert K. Godfrey's manual is a definitive work on this area's tably diverse woody flora, from the common longleaf pine ( Pinus palustris ) and Jackson-brier ( Smilax smallii ) to locally rarer species such as the fragrant sumac ( Rhus aromatica ), Spanish bayonet ( Yucca gloriosa ), and ornamental Chinese tallow-tree ( Sapium sebiferum ).
- Author BiographyRobert K. Godfrey was a professor of biology at Florida State Univeristy. He was the author, with Herman Kurz, of Trees of Northern Florida and, with Jean W. Wooten, of the two-volume Aquatic and Wetland Plants of Southeastern United States (Georgia).
- Author(s)Robert K. Godfrey
- PublisherUniversity of Georgia Press
- Date of Publication31/12/1989
- SubjectLife Sciences: Botany
- Place of PublicationGeorgia
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of Georgia Press
- Content Noteillustrations
- Weight1429 g
- Width171 mm
- Height248 mm
- Spine44 mm
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $79.68Trending at AU $111.07
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $74.34
- AU $35.44Trending at AU $40.70
- AU $74.90Trending at AU $79.33
- AU $19.36Trending at AU $23.93
- AU $30.00Trending at AU $49.01
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $18.30
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.