All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThroughout human history our relationship with trees, woods and forests has remained central to the development of our techlogy, culture and expansion as a species. In this engaging book, Charles Watkins examines and challenges our historical and modern attitudes to wooded environments and our continuing anxiety about humanity's impact on these natural realms. Our understanding of the history of trees and woodlands has been transformed in recent years. Established ideas, such as the spread of continuous dense forests across the whole of Europe after the Ice Age, have been questioned, if t overturned, by archaeological and historical research. While the continued clearance of tropical forests is a cause for alarm, concern over woodland loss in Europe, where the area of land covered by trees has increased substantially in the last century, is perhaps less well founded. Recent research shows that the interactions between humans and trees and woods have varied dramatically through time and from place to place.The great variety of values and meanings different human societies have and ascribe to trees and forests are unpicked and compared in Trees, Wood and Forests, which provides a rich source of material to analyse the environment that is such a key to our survival. Drawing on the most recent work of historians, ecologist-geographers, botanists and forestry professionals, and using mainly the example of Britain but also forests in the U.S., Greece, Italy and France, this book provides a comprehensive interdisciplinary overview of humankind's interaction with these often abused yet most valuable resources.
- Author BiographyCharles Watkins is Professor of Rural Geography at the University of Nottingham.
- Author(s)Charles Watkins
- PublisherReaktion Books
- Date of Publication10/11/2014
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintReaktion Books
- Content Note50 colour, 50 black & white
- Weight812 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine24 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
- AU $61.65New
- AU $7.64New
- AU $20.34New
- AU $33.28New
- AU $29.94New
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $59.99Trending at AU $61.65
- AU $40.94Trending at AU $51.58
- AU $125.99Trending at AU $127.76
- AU $29.54Trending at AU $29.94
- AU $56.80Trending at AU $63.10
- AU $49.24Trending at AU $52.75
- AU $26.83Trending at AU $30.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.