All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $27.54Trending at AU $44.05
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.14
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $77.73
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.43
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.64
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.61
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.75
About this product
- DescriptionThis book is born out of a sense of scepticism with self-indulgence in architecture. It seeks a new prescription for readdressing architecture as an expression of human need. Sense, Sagacity and the Sublime define the architectural realities of its organizing principle, while Gods and Goddesses; Princes and Prelates; Corporate Clients and Citizens identify strategic shifts in Western Civilization. The book carries the judgment of democracy derived from Greek Goddess Athena. This is followed by the measured building world of Le Thoronet which advances unswervingly towards the Paris Opera - the greatest processional triumph of the 19
th Century. The finale deals with Frank Lloyd Wright at Falling Water , Le Corbusier at Ronchamp, Renzo Pia at Kansai Airport, Japan, and Santiago Calatrava's winged vehemence at Milwaukee, USA. The book concludes with a thoughtful reminder - emphasizing the values of human engagement while providing philosophical support for the social contract in architecture.
- Author BiographyRussell Walden carries a Doctorate from the University of Birmingham, and is an architect with designed and built buildings in England, Scotland, and in his home country New Zealand. He is also an elected Fellow of the New Zealand Institute of Architects. Recently retired from Victoria University of Wellington where he taught History and Design. His books include (ed) The Open Hand, Essays on Le Corbusier, 1977 and 1982; Voices of Silence, 1988; Finnish Harvest, 1998.
- Author(s)Russell Walden
- PublisherPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Date of Publication27/10/2011
- Country of PublicationSwitzerland
- First Published2011
- ImprintPeter Lang AG, Internationaler Verlag der Wissenschaften
- Content Note99, coloured and b/w ill.
- Weight1210 g
- Width210 mm
- Height290 mm
- Edition Statement1st New edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.