Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $80.99Trending at AU $88.17
- AU $71.88Trending at AU $73.75
- AU $82.90Trending at AU $85.67
- AU $72.90Trending at AU $79.64
- AU $34.73Trending at AU $42.76
- AU $21.22Trending at AU $25.57
- AU $19.14Trending at AU $22.14
About this product
- DescriptionThoroughly revised in the light of the aftermath of the 9/11 attacks and the subsequent climate of fear and hostility towards Muslims, this new edition of the acclaimed Unfolding Islam sets out to present Islam to n-Muslim readers, and to describe for the general reader - whether Muslim or t - how Islam has unfolded over the course of time, and how it continues to do so. Set in the context of the geography and history of what may be called the super-continent of Afro-Eurasia, the book centres on the Koran and the life of the Prophet Muhammad and his companions, showing how later developments are rooted there, right down to questions of contemporary relevance such as the difference between Sunni Muslims and Shiites, Sufis and literalists, reformists and 'fundamentalists'.Though the book is written with the n-specialist in mind, specialists will find new contributions to such topics as the first writing down of the Koran, jihad (holy war) and Islamic attitudes to our environment. Seen as a whole, the story of the unfolding of Islam shows how it has achieved its special balance of constancy and flexibility. The controlling position of the Prophet, the unique authority of the Koran and the strength of the Muslim family give the religion its enduring central core.
- Author BiographyP. J. STEWARTstudied Arabic at the University of Oxford and spent a year in Egypt before working in Algeria for seven years. Until he retired, he taught in the Honour School of Human Sciences at Oxford, with a special interest in the ecology of religion.
- Author(s)P. J. Stewart
- PublisherGarnet Publishing Ltd
- Date of Publication01/05/2008
- SubjectNon-Christian Religions
- Place of PublicationReading
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintGarnet Publishing Ltd
- Content NoteIllustrations, maps
- Weight567 g
- Width155 mm
- Height235 mm
- Spine20 mm
- Edition Statement2nd edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.