All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionAs the cities of the world increasingly come under threat from crisis and disaster, planners are searching for ways to build resilience into the foundations of modern urban centres. This important book provides a comprehensive account of the theory and practice of urban resilience in response to a range of disruptions, including terrorism, climate change and ecomic crises. It examines how the concepts and principles of resilience exert increasing significant influence over the form and function of planning. Discussing a 'politics of resilience' in which fundamental questions of social and spatial justice are posed, this book examines how urban planners are increasingly tasked with the responsibility of safeguarding the future of urbanised centres and those that live in them. Drawing on international examples and detailed case-studies, this book provides a nuanced account of the uses, and misuses, of resilience and points a way forward for planning activity, from an approach that is too often narrowly technical in focus towards an integrated and adaptable model for coping with risk, crisis and uncertainty. It will make essential reading for students of urban planning and researchers alike.
- Author BiographyJon Coaffee is Professor of Urban Geography and Director of the Resilient Cities Laboratory and the Warwick Institute for the Science of Cities at the University of Warwick, UK, and an exchange Professor at New York University, USA. Peter Lee is Senior Lecturer in Urban and Regional Studies and former Director of the Centre for Urban and Regional Studies at the University of Birmingham, UK.
- Author(s)Jon Coaffee,Peter Lee
- PublisherPalgrave Macmillan
- Date of Publication16/05/2016
- SubjectGeography & Earth Science: Textbooks & Study Guides
- Series TitlePlanning, Environment, Cities
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintPalgrave Macmillan
- Content Note9 black & white halftones, 14 black & white line drawings, 9 black & white tables
- Weight511 g
- Width146 mm
- Height222 mm
- Spine21 mm
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $37.00Trending at AU $37.79
- AU $23.50Trending at AU $28.78
- AU $27.51Trending at AU $30.65
- AU $17.51Trending at AU $30.49
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $9.90
- AU $15.62Trending at AU $17.49
- AU $21.93Trending at AU $30.25
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.