Restoring Mobility with a 3-Wheel Mobility Scooter
Since their introduction, 3-wheel mobility scooters have been hugely successful in assisting people with mobility problems. There are many models available, and they offer a range of features. If you're looking for a 3-wheel mobility scooter, you can find a great selection on eBay.Classes of mobility scooters
Mobility scooters are designated by law as class 2 mobility scooters, which are smaller and lighter, and class 3 mobility scooters, which are larger, heavier and more powerful. The power source in both cases is an on-board rechargeable battery, and depending on factors, including the model and the weight carried, the scooters can cover distances ranging from 10 to well over 30 miles on a single charge.Where can 3-wheel mobility scooters be used?
Class 2, 3-wheel mobility scooters can be ridden indoors and outdoors. Their smaller size gives them a tighter turning circle, which makes them useful for pedestrian areas, shopping arcades, footpaths and pavements. Class 3, 3-wheel mobility scooters can be ridden in pedestrian areas, too, and can also be ridden on public roads, provided they’re registered with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). A driving licence isn’t required, nor is vehicle insurance.How fast can 3-wheel mobility scooters travel?
Class 2 mobility scooters have a top speed and legal speed limit of 4 mph. Class 3 mobility scooters are also limited to 4 mph in pedestrian areas but are permitted to travel at up to 8 mph on public roads including dual carriageways.Important features As mobility restrictions are highly varied, so too are the features offered on mobility scooters. Important and useful features include:
- Reverse gear: The ability to reverse the scooter provides much greater manoeuvrability.
- Weight carrying capacity: The weight carrying capacity of 3-wheel mobility scooters varies by model and it’s important to factor in your own weight, too, when choosing one.
- Lights: Fitted lights on a 3-wheel mobility scooter enable night use in outdoor pedestrian areas and are a legal requirement for use on public roads at night in the case of class 3 scooters.
- Comfort: Models with good suspension and wider seats provide added comfort, especially with class 3 models where greater distances are usually covered.
- Foldability: Due to their smaller size and weight, class 2, 3-wheel mobility scooters are designed to be quickly disassembled and folded into a small bundle in around five easy steps. They can fit in the boot of a car for transporting elsewhere and just as quickly be reassembled, ready for use.