Artists Acrylic Paint Products
Acrylic paint is made from colour pigments that are suspended in an acrylic resin. They are able to be dissolved into water, which allows them to be thinned to suit a range of painting styles.
What Are The Benefits of Acrylic Paints?
Acrylic paints are highly versatile and have many advantages.
- Acrylic paints are quick-drying and once dry are quite difficult to remove. This allows them to be used in a wide range of applications.
- Due to the water-soluble nature of acrylic paints, they can mimic the looks of oil-colour and water-colour depending on the amount of water added. They also can produce entirely unique looks and often have a semi-matte finish.
- Acrylic paints are available not only in all standard colours, but also more exotic shades such as metallic or holographic colours.
- Acrylic paints can be used on T-shirts, lycra, hats, jeans, canvas, shoes, leather, ceramics, timber fishing lures, wood, metal, most plastic, glass and more.
How Safe Are Acrylic Paints?
When purchasing anything, it is important to consider the possible effects to yourself and the environment.
- Acrylic paints are resin based, and so they are a petroleum byproduct. As they are water soluble, they can be washed very easily, and disposing of small amounts down a residential drain is nothing to be concerned about.
- The pigments used in individual colours can vary from completely harmless to highly toxic. Even the most dangerous however are unlikely to cause harm unless ingested. Once dry, acrylic paints are perfectly safe to touch, as the pigment is now suspended beneath hardened acrylic resin.
What Acrylic Paint Accessories Are Available?
To get the most out of acrylic paints, youll need to make use of the wide range of products available for them.
- Brushes are the most common item associated with painting and choosing the right one is important, as they can range from small and delicate artists brushes to large and coarse brushes for painting walls.
- Canvases are another important item and can range in size from small hand-held squares to massive wall-sized frames.
- Correctly diluted acrylic paint can also be used in airbrushes.
- Finishes can provided a final layer to an acrylic work, changing its sheen or simply adding extra protection.