Comfortable & Durable: Choose Bamboo Mattress Protectors
Bamboo is manufactured from bamboo plant fibres. Here are some interesting facts about bamboo:
- There are thousands of bamboo plant varieties, making it a valuable natural resource in businesses such as forestry and medicine.
- It can withstand wind and snow
- It reflects up to 95% of UV rays
- It grows quickly without replanting, so is easy to cultivate
- It also doesn't need much water and absorbs CO2
- It contains natural insecticides that help it flourish
For creating mattress protectors, the bamboo fibres are spun into yarn and threaded into the smooth material - known for being ultra-soft and long-lasting. Bamboo is considered to be eco-friendly, and the bedding and textiles are often free of harsh chemicals, making them safe for the whole family. Here are a few things to look for when shopping on eBay.
Because there are so many types of bamboo, the material that comes from bamboo can also differ. There are three common weaves used for making bamboo material:
- Sateen: One thread beneath, three to four threads over. Sateen has a soft texture and beautiful shine. It prevents wrinkles naturally, giving it a smooth appearance.
- Percale: This weave offers a crisp, lightweight cloth with a matte finish. Percale is popular with hot sleepers, as they keep you cool.
- Twill has diagonal parallel ribs, and though it may not be smooth and ultra-soft, it is highly durable.
Getting a good night’s sleep with bamboo
Even though your mattress protector isn’t generally touching your body directly, if you pair this with bamboo sheets you’ll enhance the benefits bamboo provides. Here are some of the benefits you’ll find with either option:
- Temperature control: Bamboo is breathable and will keep you cool in summer, and warm in winter.
- Moisture wicking: This is why bamboo is ideal as a mattress protector as it protects your bed from any sweat or other moisture that could cause bacteria.
- Tough: Bamboo mattress protectors are extremely durable due to the bamboo plant's naturally long fibres.
- Allergy-free: Bamboo protectors are hypoallergenic, which makes them ideal for allergy sufferers.
- Stain-resistant: Because they are moisture-wicking, they’re also resistant to stains, keeping them fresh and clean for years to come.
Shopping online: what to look for
Check the material. If a label states “100% bamboo”, you should always ask the seller about the product's composition. In some countries, products can’t simply be labelled with 100% Bamboo. They have to be more detailed, including bamboo lyocell, bamboo rayon or bamboo twill.
And don’t be afraid to ask the seller for washing instructions to ensure you’re taking proper care of your mattress protector. Though these should come with (or attached to) the product, if you don’t receive them, don’t take the risk.
Finally, see if there is a 30-day money back guarantee or similar. This will help give you peace of mind when shopping on eBay.