Flashes for Nikon Cameras
Nikon is one of the world's biggest names when it comes to DSLR cameras and, for those who are serious about their photography, an external flash for Nikon cameras is an essential part of any kit. But why do you need an external flash when there's one already in-built and how do you know which one is right for you?
Why Do You Need An External Flash?
While most Nikon digital cameras come with on-camera, pop-up flashes, they often leave indoor images looking flat due to the harsh direct light they create, which is where an external flash, or speedlight, comes into the picture.
- These off-camera flashes offer more power to illuminate large areas and get greater range.
- They also enable you to diffuse the light and create softer, more natural-looking lighting effects.
What Are Some Other Advantages of Using An External Flash?
In addition to creating greater range and softer light, external flashes don't drain your camera battery as they operate off their own set of batteries.
- They are also much more versatile, as you can tilt the Nikon flash head in multiple directions and bounce light off different surfaces to achieve your desired effect.
- Compared to on-camera flashes, they also recover much more quickly so you can capture multiple images in quick succession and they help to reduce red-eye, which often results when your flash fires within close proximity to your camera lens.
Which Nikon Camera Flash is Right for Me?
When it comes to purchasing a new flash for your Nikon camera, one of the most decisive factors is going to be your budget.
- If you're limited with how much you can spend, there are good-quality options from third-party manufacturers that will do the job. However, if you want the best quality, you should opt for Nikon camera flashes, with their i-TTL (intelligent Through The Lens) system similar to working in Auto mode by helping you to shoot images without under- or over-exposing them.
You can also look for a manual flash where you decide the settings. You may also want to consider Nikon camera flashes with a wireless remote control to mimimise any shaking when you depress the flash, as well as ring light macro flashes for Nikon cameras if you're planning on doing any small-scale work.