From Tactical To Kitchen, There’s Knives For All Purpose
Every cook, pro or home, knows exactly how important a great set of knives is. A sharp blade makes chopping vegetables a cinch. Of course, this is why you should invest in a knife sharpener as well. When your blades are kept in good shape, you reduce the risk of injury in the kitchen. A great knife will give you total control over the task at hand, whether it's chopping, deboning or dicing. There's a knife built for just about every task in the kitchen, and investing in a high-quality set will make working in the kitchen a dream come true. eBay has a full range of knives available.
Types of knives
Essentially, you only really need two essential knives in your kitchen: a chef's knife and a serrated bread knife. Except for crusty bread, the chef's knife can cut just about anything, while the bread knife, well, it cuts bread. However, there are an abundance of options available if you do want to invest in more than one or two knives! Here are just a few of the knives you’ll find online.
- Chef’s knife: A long, straight edged blade. It has a wide heel area, so it can withstand more pressure during heavy-duty chopping activities, such as cutting potatoes.
- Utility knife: It is narrow, with a sharp tip that tapers towards the spine. It is ideal for tasks that require greater precision.
- Paring knife: Short, thin, and equally proportioned, it has a sharp tip and is useful for cutting, chopping, and slicing fruits and vegetables.
- Bread knife: The blade is long and regularly spaced, but it also includes a serrated edge for cutting bread.
- Carving knives: Long and narrow, with a pointed tip, this knife is used for carving meats and vegetables. It produces thin, even slices with perfect presentation.
- Butcher knives, such as cleavers, have a blade that is flat and rectangular in shape. They come in various sizes.
- Boning knife: A thin, sharp blade with a delicate, pointed tip, this knife is used to cut through tough cuts of meat.
Considerations when shopping for knives online
- Consider the dimensions: The size of your chef's knife is important because it is the workhorse of the kitchen. The majority are between 6 and 10 inches tall. Shorter blades are easier to control and handle, but longer knives can cut through more oversized items like watermelon or roasts.
- The composition: Steel is the most common type of metal used to make knife blades, but not all steel is created equal. The majority of knives combine stainless steel and carbon steel, albeit in variable amounts. Carbon steel is used in some higher-end knives instead of stainless steel, which is stronger and more robust. High-carbon stainless steel is a cross between stainless steel and carbon steel in that it is slightly stronger than stainless steel but slightly more durable than carbon steel. Ceramic knives are also available and though they are extremely sharp (to start with), they are very lightweight.
- The cost: If you cook a lot and know your knives will be in constant use, it's worthwhile to invest a little extra money to obtain a high quality knife. A chef's knife or Santoku knife will remain sharp for a long period of time, is well-constructed, and will be worth the investment.
- The blade: Knives are typically created in one of three ways. Forged knives are produced by applying tremendous heat to a piece of steel, which is shaped. These are often considered to be of particularly high quality, and are more expensive – but more durable. On the other hand, knives that have been punched out of a piece of steel by a machine are known as stamped knives. After the blade is created, the edge is honed, and the knife is the same thickness throughout. Serrated knives have a toothlike edge and generally work like a saw. They are great for cutting through meals that have a hard exterior and a softer interior, such as a loaf of crusty bread.
- How sharp it is: The best knife is one that is razor-sharp out of the box, and it maintains that sharpness for extended periods of time before needing to be sharpened.
- Maintenance: When it comes to rusting or corrosion, some knives are more susceptible than others. If you spend money on a quality knife, make sure you clean and dry it properly every time you use it.
Whether you are looking for the perfect butcher knife, cleaver, or a simple set of steak knives, you will find a wide range of options available to shop online. Know what you need going in and be sure to look for items that tick all your boxes. Once you have chosen the perfect knives from eBay, be sure to look in knife blocks and storage, as well as scissors and shears. Sometimes, a quick snip is a much simpler way to prepare meat for the barbecue, which allows your knives to tackle all the rest of your barbecue prep.