Got one to sell?

Got one to sell?

Get it in front of 160+ million buyers.

Meat Tenderiser Cooking Utensils

Have you ever tried to chew a particularly tough piece of steak? It probably would have benefitted from a little tenderising. This can be done via enzymes or manual means. Manual tenderising is essentially pounding the meat until the connective tissues are broken up, making the meat itself easier to cut and chew. It is more predictable than enzymatic tenderising since you can control exactly how much the meat is pounded.


Some meat tenderisers are shaped like mallets. They have a flat side and a pointy side. The flat side is most often used for flattening cuts of meat that do not need much tenderising, like chicken breasts. The other side has pyramid-shaped points used for tough cuts of meat. Similar to mallets are the tenderisers shaped like large heavy spatulas. These do not have any spikes, but rely on the weight of the instrument to flatten meat. Aluminium meat tenderisers tend to be meat mallets.


Bladed, sometimes called Jacquard or Jaccard, tenderisers have a number of small knife blades attached to a handle. Like mallet tenderisers, they are used to pound a piece of meat so that the connective tissues are broken down. This makes the meat more tender and easier to chew. Blade tenderisers also allow marinades to penetrate deeper in the flesh. Both Jacquard- and mallet-style tenderisers can qualify as stainless steel meat tenderisers.

Mechanical Meat Cuber

A mechanical meat tenderiser is similar to a pasta press. You set the thickness of the meat, feed it into the machine and turn the handle to crank it through. These machines can have either Jacquard-type blades or the pyramid-shaped bumps as on a mallet.

Other Tenderisers

There are other types of manual tenderisers that have the same functionality as those previously mentioned. One type is shaped more like a potato masher than a mallet, with a heavy round base for pounding and a handle to grip. This device also has smooth and bumpy sides. Another type has the Jacquard blades, but is shaped in a way that has you rotate your hand rather than move up and down. It is simply a personal preference as to which design works best for you.

Tell us what you think - opens in new window or tab