Networking Cables And Adapters
Used to connect one network device to another, networking cables are available in a range of different types, including coaxial cables, optical fibre cables and twisted pair cables. Ethernet or LAN cables are the most common networking cables on the market and connect through cable couplers. The networking cable you select depends on your network connection, its speed and the distance you want to cover.
What Are Ethernet Cables?
Ethernet cables connect computers to various networks, using twisted pairs of copper wire or solid core wires to transmit data.
- A wired connection using an Ethernet cable is often more stable and reliable than a wireless connection.
- Selecting an Ethernet cable depends on the type of network and its speed, as well as the distance it covers, as the signal tends to degrade as it travels over distance.
- The Electronic Industries Association and the Telecommunications Industry Association (EIA/TIA) categorises Ethernet cables based on the network speed and frequency they can support. Cat 5 cables are compatible with 100 MHz bandwidth and 10/100 Mbps Ethernet connections, while Cat 6 cables support up to 250 MHz bandwidth and work for Ethernet connections up to 10 Gbps.
Which Other Networking Cable Accessories Are Available?
In addition to the networking cables themselves, you may need to buy cable couplers and splitter extender plugs that are compatible with your Ethernet cables.
- If youre looking to join your networking cables together, look for Ethernet cable couplers that fit your particular cable.
- You can also find splitter extender plugs that will support more than one Ethernet cable connection.
In Which Lengths Can I Buy Networking Cables?
Whether youre connecting devices that are side-by-side or in separate offices, networking cables are available in a whole range of different lengths to suit a wide variety of applications.
- If youre connecting devices situated within close proximity, search for networking cables and adapters less than 1-foot.
Connecting devices further apart may require 5-9-foot networking cables and adapters, or you can search for networking cables and adapters more than 25 feet if youre connecting devices in different rooms.