Classic Pearl Fashion Earrings
Pearls have been around since 420 BC. There is no specific founder of pearls, but the first cultured pearls were made in Japan by Kokichi Mikimoto. Since then pearls have had a colourful history, from medieval times to modern day symbolism. Pearl earrings didn't come in fashion until the 18th century, when only royals were allowed to wear them.
Why Are Pearls So Popular?
Pearl jewellery is a popular fashion choice because of their neutrality. A genuine pearl is white in colour and opalescent. It can be used with almost any outfit because of its versatility. However, there are a few reasons why pearls became so popular in the modern age:
- In the 1920's, women wore layers of pearls over simple flapper dresses.
- Jackie Kennedy, a major fashion icon and political figure, became well known for her pearl necklaces and earrings. She even wore a couple strands on the cover of Time Magazine.
- Elizabeth Taylor, another fashion icon, was said to be the former owner of the most expensive set of pearls that sold for auction.
- Modern fashion gurus and designers use pearls for different purposes today such as shoe embellishments, dress decor and accessories.
What Kind of Pearl Earrings Are Available?
The most common design you will find are pearl drop earrings. These are circular and asymmetrical and are attached to the earring posts. However, there are many other pearl fashion earring designs that you can find which may be more suitable to your tastes. Here are some options:
- Pearl Studs
- Real Pearl Earrings from Freshwater Sources
- Hook Drop Pearl Earrings
- Pearl Earrings with Tassels
- Rose Gold Pearl Earrings
- Vintage Pearl Earrings with Floral Diamond Designs
- Double Sided Pearl Earrings
How to Keep Your Real Pearls In Perfect Condition
Real pearls do not deteriorate, but it is still important to keep them clean. You must also take care of the hardware that comes with it, whether it's sterling silver, gold, rose gold or other materials. Here is how you can take care of your pearl earrings:
- Always place them in a cloth earring box after use.
- Wipe the posts and back nuts every after use.
- Avoid placing them in areas with high temperatures or humidity.
- Use proper cleaning products for both your pearls and the hardware that comes with it.