Keep Your Seiko Ticking With a Seiko Watch Movement
A watch movement, also sometimes called either a caliber or a module, is the mechanism in the watch that keeps time. Some of the finest precision timepieces in the world are made by Japanese manufacturer Seiko, but even Seiko watches may require maintenance or even replacement of their movements every three to five years. Fortunately, eBay can sell you a variety of affordable Seiko watch movements that are meant for Seiko's many watch models.Types of Seiko watch movements
Here are the basic types of movements that Seiko watches use. Listed below are also the details of what distinguishes them from one another:
- Mechanical: The term "movement" is most often used with respect to mechanical winding mechanisms. Mechanical watch movements follow a pattern that has been in use for centuries: they require wearers to turn the crown periodically — usually daily — so that energy can be stored up in the mainspring. That energy then runs the watch until the user must wind it up again.
- Automatic: Automatic, self-winding, or perpetual watch mechanisms are often called modules instead of movements, but the two terms are interchangeable. To achieve its automatic functioning, an automatic movement uses a weight called an oscillator. The oscillator moves around in a circular pattern that arises from the natural movements of the wearer's wrist. This movement then feeds the mainspring and allows the oscillator to follow the gear train to the balance. Most wristwatches use automatic movements.
- Quartz: The centerpiece of every quartz watch movement is a vibrating quartz crystal. Through these vibrations, the crystal supplies the watch with the energy it needs to run. Moreover, it is able to do this both relatively inexpensively and with great accuracy.
Here is just a small sample of the different Seiko watches for which you can find movements for sale on eBay:
- Seiko (SII) NH36A automatic
- Seiko (SII) NH35A automatic
- Seiko (SII) NE15C automatic
- Seiko 7S26C automatic
- Seiko 7N43 quartz
- Seiko 7N36 quartz
- Seiko 7S26 mechanical
- Seiko 6R15 mechanical
In addition to selling complete new or preowned Seiko watch movements, eBay can also sell you specific Seiko watch parts, including specific movement parts. This is useful if your entire movement is not defective but only one or a select few parts are malfunctioning. Some of these parts include:
- Center wheels and pinions
- Third wheels and pinions
- Pillar wheels
- Date jumpers
- Hour hammers and hour fly-back levers