What You Should Know About Vacuum Pumps
Vacuum pumps are designed to create a vacuum that will cause air, gas, or liquids to move from one place to another. The pumps are used in industrial, aerospace, construction, and home applications. Here is what you should know about finding affordable vacuum pumps for sale on eBay.Types of vacuum pumps
There are a number of different types of pumps available on eBay, including:
- Diaphragm pumps: This type of pump uses a diaphragm made out of materials like rubber, polytetrafluoroethylene (Teflon), and plastic. The diaphragm typically uses air to force it to move back and forth. As it moves, it creates positive pressure in chambers alongside the diaphragm housing to force fluid through the outlet valves in the pump.
- Rotary vane pumps: A rotary vane pump uses vanes that spin around a chamber. As the vanes spin, they pull in fluids or gases through an intake hose and force it back out through a discharge hose. This is a positive-displacement style pump that maintains the volume of material flowing through it. It is usually is used for pumping low-viscosity fluids, and it can run dry for short periods of time.
- Peristaltic pumps: Small peristaltic pumps are often referred to as roller pumps. This type of device uses a rotor fitted with rollers or shoes so it can press down on a tube as it spins. As the rotor spins, the pressure of the rollers pinching down on the tube forces the material inside of it to move at a constant rate. This device is usually used in the medical field for items like heart-lung machines and for pumping materials such as agricultural chemicals and viscous fluids.
- Diffusion pumps: Diffusion pumps are typically used to move gas molecules. They use a high-speed vapor to force gas molecules out of an exhaust system for industrial and research applications. Diffusion pumps are also called "momentum-transfer pumps."
You can get new, used, remanufactured, and old pumps for parts on eBay.Vacuum pumps for different uses
Specific vacuum pumps are suited for different purposes, some of which are detailed below:
- Vehicle brake pumps: There are pumps used for bleeding vehicle brakes. These are typically handheld units.
- Turbo molecular pumps: These are used for things like building solar cells and semiconductors.
- High-vacuum ion pumps: These are commonly for use in high-precision applications.
- Diaphragm pumps: These are most often used to move corrosive chemicals, solvents, oils, and gels.
- Direct-drive pumps: These use a flange to move materials. This type of pump is typically used on appliances like washing machines.