Women’s vests have been a core item of apparel in our wardrobes for decades. But they are also a very practical addition to an outfit for reasons other than good fashion sense. With so many different varieties, colours and materials available to choose from, a vest can be anything from protection against the cold to a major fashion statement.
Good Reasons to Wear a Vest
There are so many valid reasons to wear a vest.
- They can be very flattering. Find a style that works for you – cropped, long, denim, suede – and a vest can easily be a creative layer that turns an ordinary outfit into an on trend ensemble
- They are great during seasonal transitions. A vest can keep you warm without restricting arm movement, so they are an excellent way to maintain core body heat without the added weight of a full jacket.
- They work for women inspired by the menswear look.
- They can invoke sophistication. Just as the right scarf lifts an outfit to another level, so a vest can make a bold fashion statement.
- They are the ultimate versatile wardrobe item. If the weather changes, layers are easily removed to adapt to changing conditions.
Some Style Tips
In the fashion sense, there are basically only two types of vest, short or long. But within these two there are myriad varieties, especially in materials, colours and patterns. Shorter women should stick to shorter vests to avoid appearing overwhelmed by your clothes. If you’re tall, on the other hand, you can get away with a longer vest that matches your usual dress length.
As a general rule, it’s best to avoid wearing short sleeves underneath a vest. Longer sleeves or none at all just tend to look better. But striped shirts underneath a vest are perfect. And wearing no shirt under a buttoned-up vest can be a very stylish statement indeed.
Whatever your style, don’t be afraid to add a vest to some of your outfits, both casual and more formal. eBay has lots of sellers offering something to suit your taste and budget.