What is the policy?
When a member wins an item, or uses Buy It Now to purchase an item, they must complete the purchase by sending full payment to the seller. Buyers must note:
- The cost of postage and handling, and all terms that the seller has included in the listing before deciding to purchase
- Bids can only be retracted under exceptional circumstances
A seller may cancel an unpaid order if the buyer doesn't pay or contact them within 4 calendar days.
Failure to pay for items is a violation of our abusive buyer policy. All unpaid items are recorded on a buyer's account. Buyers who have excessive unpaid items, or cancelled transactions, may have limits imposed, or lose their buying privileges.
Managing unpaid items
- Sellers may cancel an unpaid order if a buyer hasn't paid within 4 calendar days
- Sellers may be eligible to receive fee credits according to our fee credits policy
- Sellers should avoid falsely cancelling orders when the buyer has paid, or they may:
- Have all credits reversed for the time period in question
- Lose the ability to use the fee credit system
- Be subject to suspension
- eBay will automatically remove feedback left by a buyer who didn't pay for an item. Feedback may be removed when:
- The seller cancels the order due to the buyer's failure to pay
- The buyer is suspended
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions including for example: administratively ending or cancelling listings, hiding or demoting all listings from search results, lowering seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, and account suspension. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings or accounts on which we take any action will not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy ensures buyers follow our guidelines on purchasing items in order to protect sellers and maintain a fair and safe marketplace.