Frequently Asked Questions
What protections are available for sellers?
When you deliver on your service promises to create good buying experiences, we will protect you from abusive buying behavior and from events outside your control.
Learn more about Seller Protections.
Read our full policy
Seller protections abuse policy overview
You may not misuse eBay seller protections. Sellers who don't follow this policy may lose their eligibility for protections.
How to use these protections
Only report buyers who falsely claim an item was not as described
Sellers are responsible for delivering to the buyer the item that was described in the listing. You may not report a buyer when you are at fault, for example:
- An incorrect item was sent, or it did not include all the parts
- The item or its condition was described inaccurately
- The item was damaged during shipment, even if the damage was not as a result of how the item was packaged
- Anything else that could cause the buyer to believe they received a different item than that described in the listing
Give full refunds on all returns unless the buyer used or damaged the item before returning it
- Only eligible sellers may withhold part of the refund to recover the lost value due to buyer use or damage
- The amount withheld should be equal to or less than the value lost due to buyer use or damage
- Sellers may not withhold a refund for any reason other than recovering the lost value due to buyer use or damage
Activity that doesn't follow eBay policy could result in a range of actions, including for example: lowering a seller rating, buying or selling restrictions, loss of buyer or seller protections, account suspension, application of fees, and recovery of expenses for policy monitoring and enforcement. All fees paid or payable in relation to listings in which we take any action shall not be refunded or otherwise credited to your account.
Why does eBay have this policy?
This policy helps us to maintain a fair and safe marketplace for all our members. When eBay members abuse the protections we provide, it limits our ability to provide protections.