Promoting a listing makes it stand out (for example, with higher placements in search results), increasing your item's visibility and likelihood of being sold.
Access to the full Promoted listings tool is included in an eBay Store subscription. We also have a simplified version that allows sellers who don't have an eBay Store to promote eligible listings.
Promoted listings for Stores sellers
If you have an eBay Store, you can create Promoted listing campaigns and monitor their performance through Seller Hub.
To create a Promoted listings campaign:
- Go to Marketing in Seller Hub - opens in new window or tab and choose Promoted listings.
- Select Create new campaign.
We'll take you through the process step-by-step – selecting which listings to promote, choosing how much you'd like to pay for the ads, and then reviewing and launching your campaign.
You can also create Promoted listings campaigns using the advanced listing form. Here's how:
- Go to Sell it faster near the bottom of the Create your listing page.
- Select Promote your listings to opt in. Before you select it, the fields are greyed out.
- Select Create a campaign.
Edit your Promoted Listings in bulk
You can also upload your listings in bulk using a .csv file. Here's how:
- Select Actions next to the campaign you want to edit and download it.
- Make your changes to the .csv file.
- Add the ad rates for each item. You can choose the following, but whatever option you choose, you can still modify ad rates for individual items in the download file.
- Exceed trending rates by X% - this will result in ad rates being set to trending rate + the selected percentage for each item in the download file. If this option is selected with 0%, the trending rate for each item will show in the file.
- Apply a single rate to all listings - this will result in the same ad rate being applied to all items in the download file. It is suitable if you have a strict maximum rate you want to pay.
- I will set my own ad rates - you set your desired ad rates for each item individually in the csv file.
- Upload the file.
- Review and launch your campaign.
- The file needs to be in .csv format and you can add up to 25,000 ItemIDs in one file.
- Large files may take up to an hour to upload.
- ItemIDs need to be in number format with no decimal points.
- Ad rates can be provided in 0.1% increments. However do not use the "%" sign.
Visit our Seller Centre to learn more about Promoted listings for Stores sellers - opens in new window or tab.
Any changes you make to your listing will automatically appear in your ad.
Promoted listings fees for Stores sellers
You choose how much you want to pay for your Promoted listings – we call this the ad rate. The Promoted listing system chooses which listings to show and where, based on the listing's ad rate and relevancy to buyer search. Typically, a higher ad rate means more buyers will see it.
Here's how Promoted listings fees work for Stores sellers:
- You choose an ad rate of 1% or more of the item's sale price. A higher ad rate means greater promotion.
- If a buyer clicks or taps on one of your ads and then buys the item within 30 days, you'll be charged an ad fee based on the rate you chose.
- Ad fees are shown on your seller invoice.
Promoted listings without a Store
If you don't have an eBay Store, you can still advertise your item in premium places on eBay. You'll see this option when you list an eligible item using the quick listing tool - opens in new window or tab. Simply select Promote your listing now.
To be eligible for Promoted listings, you need to meet all of the following criteria:
- Your seller level is "Above Standard" or better;
- The listing is in fixed price format (auction-style listings, including auction-style listings with a Buy It Now option, aren't eligible);
- The listing price adheres to our recommended price guidance;
- The item is listed in an eligible category (all except for Motors vehicle categories, Real Estate and Travel);
- The listing includes at least 4 pictures and the title has more than 6 words in it;
- The item condition isn't "For parts or not working";
- The listing doesn't offer local pickup.
Promoted listings fees for non-Stores sellers
The fee for promoting your listing is a percentage of the item's final sale price (similar to a final value fee), but we only charge you for a promoted listing if it's helped your item sell.
Here's how Promoted listings fees work for non-Stores sellers:
- We work out the ad rate when you create your listing, based on the price of similar items. You'll see the percentage we'll charge when you agree to promote your listing.
- If a buyer clicks or taps on your promoted listing and then buys the item within 30 days, you'll be charged the ad fee.
- If your item doesn't sell, or if a buyer finds your item through a non-promoted listing in search results, you won't be charged an ad fee.
- Ad fees are shown on your seller invoice.
Visit our Seller Centre to learn more about using Promoted listings without a Store - opens in new window or tab.
FAQs about Promoted listings
What if someone looks at my promoted listing but doesn't buy the item straight away?
If a buyer clicks or taps on your promoted listing and buys the item within 30 days, we'll charge the ad fee – even if they'd left the site in between.
What ad rate am I charged if a buyer clicks multiple times on my ad at different times?
We charge the ad rate that applied when the buyer first clicked or tapped on your promoted listing within the 30-day window.
What happens if I accept a Best Offer?
If you accept a Best Offer price for an item, we charge an ad fee based on the Best Offer price.
Where will my ad appear?
The listings you choose to promote will appear in prominent placements across eBay, including the search results page and related items section. Your listings will only be promoted on the eBay site you listed on, even if you offer international postage.
If you list on multiple eBay sites, your listings will be available in the local Promoted listings tool. All you need to do is log in to create your local Promoted listings campaigns.