50 Flippen Brilliant South Africans by Alexander Parker, Tim Richman (Paperback, 2012)
Brand newLOWEST PRICE
- AU $22.36Free postage
- Brand new condition
- Sold by wordery
- See details for delivery est.
- AU $12.34Free postage
- Very good condition
- Sold by worldofbooks-australia
- See details for delivery est.
All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionWhat does it take to be a flippen brilliant South African? Simple: sheer brilliance and a good story. So, whether naughty or ble, crazy or controversial, here are 50 of the most talented, successful, inspirational, intriguing, fascinating Saffers to have walked the planet...Of course, there are the great statesmen (Mandela, Luthuli, Smuts), the landmark achievers (Charlize Theron, Chris Barnard) and the incredible talents (Miriam Makeba, Irma Stern), but the lesser-kwns will also make a case: such as Ntshingwayo Khoza, the conqueror at Isandlwana; Ampie Roux, the atom-bomb creator; Ryan Sandes, the world's best trail runner...As will the horary inclusions (Churchill, Rodriguez, Gandhi) and the previously scorned (Mbeki, Shaka). But how exactly does Winnie Madikizela-Mandela qualify? From space adventurers (Mark Shuttleworth) and fighter pilots (Sailor Malan) to entrepreneurs (Elon Musk) and environmentalists (Ian Player), this is a raucous celebration of the country we call home, proving that you just can't have the bad without the good. Picking up where he left off with the bestselling 50 People Who Stuffed Up South Africa (also minated for the Bookseller's Choice Award in 2011), Alexander Parker's irreverent but scathing writing is once again brought to life by Zapiro, who adds the finishing touches with his iconic caricatures.
- Author BiographyAlexander Parker is a journalist and author whose work has appeared in the Sunday Times, Business Day, Stuff Magazine, The Witness, The Financial Mail, FHM and Top Car, among others. He was the launch deputy editor of Top Gear magazine, a producer and presenter of SABC3's Car Quest, and is currently motoring editor at Business Day. He is the author of the forerunner to this book, 50 People Who Stuffed Up South Africa, as well as 25 Cars To Drive Before You Die. Tim Richman is an author and editor, and a publisher of South African books. He has written for a number of local and international publications, including GQ, Men's Health and Vogue Living. He is the co-author of the best-selling Is It Just Me Or Is Everything Kak? series and a number of other titles. Zapiro - also known as Jonathan Shapiro - is the editorial cartoonist for the Mail & Guardian, the Sunday Times and The Times. Born in Cape Town, he studied architecture and became active in the UDF in 1983. He was detained by the security police shortly before taking up a Fulbright Scholarship at the School of Visual Arts in New York in 1988. He has published 17 cartoon collections, the most recent of which is Vuvuzela Nation, as well as a large-format hardcover, The Mandela Files. He has received numerous international and South African awards and holds two honorary doctorates.
- Author(s)Alexander Parker,Tim Richman
- PublisherBurnet Media
- Date of Publication01/10/2012
- SubjectRegional History
- Place of PublicationKenilworth
- Country of PublicationSouth Africa
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight276 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (UK)
Save on Textbooks
- AU $69.88Trending at AU $71.09
- AU $32.49Trending at AU $38.03
- AU $28.56Trending at AU $29.47
- AU $11.66Trending at AU $14.91
- AU $28.03Trending at AU $30.57
- AU $30.99Trending at AU $39.95
- AU $11.25Trending at AU $14.82
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.