All listings for this product
Best-selling in Textbooks
Save on Textbooks
- AU $56.99Trending at AU $70.99
- AU $13.75Trending at AU $17.73
- AU $94.90Trending at AU $97.29
- AU $29.08Trending at AU $33.09
- AU $30.74Trending at AU $36.97
- AU $23.06Trending at AU $32.76
- AU $71.09Trending at AU $85.59
About this product
- DescriptionWhen the Romans came rth to what is w modern Scotland they encountered the fierce and proud warriors kwn as the Picts, who despite their lack of formal discipline and advanced weaponry, managed to prevent the undefeated Roman Army from conquering the rthern part of Britain, just as they later repulsed the Angles and the Vikings. A New History of the Picts is an accessible history of the Picts, who have been for so long the subject of wild speculation. This controversial book contends that Scottish history has for too long been dominated and distorted by misleading suppositions. Stuart McHardy asserts that the Picts were the descendants of the original inhabitants of the land, living in a series of loose tribal confederations gradually brought together by external forces to create one of the earliest states in Europe: a people, who after repulsing all invaders, merged with their cousins, the Scots of Argyll, to create modern Scotland.
- Author BiographyStuart McHardy - writer, musician, storyteller, folklorist, historian, poet, past president of the Pictish Arts Society and ex-Director Scots Language Resource Centre - has lectured on many aspects of Scottish history and culture both in Scotland and abroad, and has made regular appearances on television and radio.
- Author(s)Stuart McHardy
- PublisherLuath Press Ltd
- Date of Publication01/04/2011
- SubjectAncient History
- Place of PublicationEdinburgh
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintLuath Press Ltd
- Content Notemaps
- Weight318 g
- Width156 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine10 mm
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.