All listings for this product
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.86
- AU $69.30Trending at AU $126.46
- AU $6.90Trending at AU $10.41
- AU $16.68Trending at AU $22.22
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.31
- AU $40.00Trending at AU $40.55
- AU $36.22Trending at AU $37.61
About this product
- DescriptionIn this new and illuminating interpretation of Ambrose, bishop of Milan from 374 to 397, Neil McLynn thoroughly sifts the evidence surrounding this very difficult personality. The result is a richly detailed interpretation of Ambrose's actions and writings that penetrates the bishop's painstaking presentation of self. McLynn succeeds in revealing Ambrose's manipulation of events without making him too Machiavellian. Having synthesized the vast complex of scholarship available on the late fourth century, McLynn also presents an impressive study of the politics and history of the Christian church and the Roman Empire in that period. Admirably and logically organized, the book traces the chrology of Ambrose's public activity and reconstructs important events in the fourth century. McLynn's zesty, lucid prose gives the reader a clear understanding of the complexities of Ambrose's life and career and of late Roman government.
- Author BiographyNeil McLynn is University Lecturer and Fellow in Later Roman History at Corpus Christi College, Oxford University.
- Author(s)Neil B. McLynn
- PublisherUniversity of California Press
- Date of Publication15/08/2014
- SubjectReligion: Comparative, General & Reference
- Series TitleTransformation of the Classical Heritage
- Series Part/Volume Number22
- Place of PublicationBerkerley
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintUniversity of California Press
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations, maps, figures
- Weight499 g
- Width152 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine30 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.