All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionDedicated to the American Pit Bull Terrier, one of the world's most loyal, intelligent, and versatile breeds, this Smart Owner's Guide, created by the editors at Dog Fancy magazine, offers the most up-to-date and accurate information every dog owner needs to become a well-informed caregiver for his dog. Illustrated with color photographs of adorable puppies and handsome adults, this easy-to-read primer is designed in a modern, lively manner that readers will find user-friendly and entertaining. Each Smart Owner's Guide offers a description of the breed's character and physical conformation, historical overview, and its attributes as a companion dog. The reader will find informative chapters on everything he or she needs to kw about acquiring, raising, and training this remarkable purebred dog, including: finding a breeder and selecting a healthy, sound puppy; preparing for the puppy's homecoming, shopping for supplies, and puppy-proofing the home; house-training; veterinary and home health maintenance; feeding and nutrition; and grooming. Obedience training for basic cues (sit, stay, heel, come, etc.) and solving potential problem behaviors (barking, chewing, aggression, jumping up, etc.) are addressed in separate chapters, as are activities to enjoy with the dog, including showing, agility, therapy work, and more. Entertaining tidbits and smart advice fill up colorful sidebars in every chapter, real-life heroes and rescue stories are retold in full-page features, and recipes, training, and care tips are also highlighted on special pages. The Smart Owner's Guide series is the only series that offers readers an online component in which dog owners can join a breed-specific online club hosted by dogchannel.com. At Club APBT, owners of the breed can find forums, blogs, and profiles to connect with other breed owners, as well as charts and checklists that can be downloaded. More than just 20,000 pages of solid information, there's a host of fun to be had at the club in the form of downloadable breed-specific e-cards, screensavers, games, and quizzes. The Resources section of the book includes contact information for breed-related organizations and rescues, as well as practical guidance on traveling with dogs, identification, and locating qualified professionals to assist the dog owner, such as pet sitters, trainers, and boarding facilities. This information-packed Smart Owner's Guide is fully indexed.
- Author BiographyThe experts at Dog Fancy(R) magazine, the world's most widely read dog magazine for almost 40 years, brings you the ultimate series of dog breed books. With the collaborative minds of Dog Fancy(R) Editors resulting in the creation of this exceptional line of up-to-date, interactive and information-packed books that will set the standard for all breed books.
- PublisherKennel Club Books Inc
- Date of Publication02/03/2010
- SubjectPets & Equine
- Series TitleSmart Owner's Guide
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintKennel Club Books Inc
- Content Notecolour illustrations
- Weight614 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Reading AgeFrom 6
- Interest AgeFrom 12
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.00Trending at AU $19.09
- AU $61.30Trending at AU $73.48
- AU $82.00Trending at AU $99.31
- AU $36.79Trending at AU $38.13
- AU $50.16Trending at AU $55.65
- AU $20.18Trending at AU $24.49
- AU $26.40Trending at AU $33.64
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.