All listings for this product
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $17.90Trending at AU $23.01
- AU $62.03Trending at AU $75.38
- AU $32.88Trending at AU $36.70
- AU $37.69Trending at AU $48.07
- AU $30.58Trending at AU $37.48
- AU $17.43Trending at AU $19.79
- AU $44.07Trending at AU $51.53
About this product
- DescriptionLiterature on the American woman suffrage movement is plentiful, but work has systematically analyzed the visual aspect in the quest for woman suffrage. This publication fills this gap. Taking mid 19th century representations of women as a basis, it analyses political cartoons in three major woman's journals between 1910 and 1920 and distills the visual representation of women in the counterpublic sphere of the woman partisan press. The portrayal of women in political cartoons of three general interest journals during the same time period simultaneously helps to trace sociocultural changes in the general concept of femininity in early 20th century USA. Women's claim for suffrage t only asked for a political right. At the same time, the gender concepts of the day were being negotiated in a highly charged public discourse, in which the visual medium of the cartoon served as a particularly effective means of emotional persuasion. This book will appeal to students of Social History, Gender Studies and Media Studies as well as to the general interest reader.
- Author BiographyKatharina Hundhammer studied Modern History, Ancient History and Intercultural Communications at the Ludwig-Maximilians-University in Munich and the Wayne State University in Michigan. After teaching at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in Geneva, New York, she worked at the Institut fur Zeitgeschichte in Munich and at the library of the Dachau Concentration Camp Memorial Site. She is now a librarian at the Bavarian State Library.
- Author(s)Katharina Hundhammer
- PublisherPeter Lang GmbH
- Date of Publication26/10/2012
- SubjectCommunication & Media
- Series TitleMunchner Studien zur Neueren und Neuesten Geschichte
- Series Part/Volume Number25
- Place of PublicationFrankfurt am Main
- Country of PublicationGermany
- First Published2012
- ImprintPeter Lang GmbH
- Content NoteIllustrations
- Weight400 g
- Width148 mm
- Height210 mm
- Spine18 mm
- Edition StatementNew edition
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.