All listings for this product
About this product
- Description'This short book, a collection of essays and poems, looks at the loneliness, frustration and sadness experienced, t by the person with the syndrome, but by their partners, parents and other family members: it is they who have to cope with the absence of communication, affection and empathy expected from a reciprocal loving relationship.' - Irish Journal of Medical Science The difficulties faced by people with Asperger's Syndrome (AS) cant be underestimated, but the emotional problems experienced by those who support them - partners, family and friends - are often over-looked. Focusing on what is referred to as the Cassandra phemen, where the neurotypical partner often needs more emotional guidance than the AS partner, this volume gathers together letters, thoughts and poems to give voice to the loneliness, frustration and love felt by many individuals who are close to one or more people with AS. Assembled by FAAAS Inc. (Families of Adults Afflicted with Asperger's Syndrome), a well-kwn support group specifically for family members, friends and loved ones of people with AS, this collection will provide the emotional support, insight and understanding needed to deal with the emotions that AS evokes within close relationships.
- Author BiographyKaren E. Rodman has lived with a husband who was diagnosed in 1996 with Asperger's Syndrome and Tourette's Syndrome at age 69. Karen enjoys travel, her friends, photography, and facilitating Polly's Place , a cancer support group. She is the founder and president of FAAAS Inc. (www.faaas.org), the first website and organisation in the world that recognizes the need of support and validation for family members who are affected by the behaviours of adults with AS. FAAAS Inc. (Families of Adults Afflicted with Asperger's Syndrome) aims to offer support to the family members of adult individuals afflicted with AS. FAAAS Inc., a non-profit organization, also aims to educate the public to the existence of Asperger's Syndrome in the adult population and to bring awareness of this neurological disorder and its ramifications on the whole family to the medical communities who are directly or indirectly involved. Another key aspect to the work of FAAAS Inc. is to give the families a measure of reassurance so they can validate their concerns and frustrations as concrete issues rather than simple family problems .
- Author(s)Karen E. Rodman
- PublisherJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Date of Publication08/09/2003
- SubjectPsychology: Professional & General
- Place of PublicationLondon
- Country of PublicationUnited Kingdom
- ImprintJessica Kingsley Publishers
- Content Noteblack & white illustrations
- Weight235 g
- Width138 mm
- Height216 mm
- Spine13 mm
- Foreword byTony Attwood
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $90.88Trending at AU $93.04
- AU $28.71Trending at AU $30.82
- AU $52.98Trending at AU $78.83
- AU $34.29Trending at AU $38.68
- AU $16.99Trending at AU $17.94
- AU $36.48Trending at AU $41.21
- AU $30.17Trending at AU $33.12
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.