All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionThe Accademia Carrara of Bergamo is one of Italy's premier paintings galleries but remains too little kwn outside the country. The temporary closure and restoriation of its galleries, housed in a grand neoclassical building in the North Italian city of Bergamo, has made possible a welcome collaboration with The Metropolitan Museum of Art, bringing to New York fifteen of the Carrara's masterpieces by Venetian and North Italian painters of the fifteenth and sixteenth centuries, including Giovanni Bellini's haunting Pieta with the Virgin and Saint John, the predella panels from Lorenzo Lotto's celebrated Martinengo Altarpiece, and Orpheus and Eurydice, an ambitious composition fromTitian's early career. The exhibition and accompanyting publication illuminate t only the quality of the Accademia Carrara's holdings but also the unique position the museum occupies in the history of art, collecting, and conisseurship in the rthern Italian regions of Lombardy and the Veneto. As the custodian of three superlative, formerly private collections-those of the Bergamo native Count Giacomo Carrara (1714-1796), who founded the institution in the late eighteenth century, Guglielmo Lochis (1789-1859), and the great conisseur Giovanni Morelli (1826-1891)-the Accademia Carrara has served to transform the collecting practices and artistic pursuits of three individuals into a reflection of the cultural history of Bergamo, a civic-minded vision whose influence extends far beyond the city's borders.
- Author BiographyAndrea Bayer is Curator in the Department of European Paintings at The Metropolitan Museum of Art, New York. Maria Cristina Rodeschini is Head of the Accademia Carrara, and Galleria d'Arte Moderna e Contemporanea di Bergamo, Director.
- Author(s)Andrea Bayer,Maria Cristina Rodeschini
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication18/05/2012
- SubjectFine Arts / Art History
- Series TitleMetropolitan Museum of Art
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note60 colour illustrations
- Weight281 g
- Width178 mm
- Height229 mm
- Spine9 mm
- Format DetailsWith flaps
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $29.99Trending at AU $43.32
- AU $9.20Trending at AU $16.14
- AU $43.22Trending at AU $48.83
- AU $30.57Trending at AU $33.68
- AU $19.47Trending at AU $25.83
- AU $11.97Trending at AU $20.24
- AU $24.18Trending at AU $34.83
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.