All listings for this product
About this product
- DescriptionFor thirty years Ben Kiernan has been deeply involved in the study of gecide and crimes against humanity. He has played a key role in unearthing confidential documentation of the atrocities committed by the Khmer Rouge. His writings have transformed our understanding t only of twentieth-century Cambodia but also of the historical phemen of gecide. This new book-the first global history of gecide and extermination from ancient times-is among his most important achievements. Kiernan examines outbreaks of mass violence from the classical era to the present, focusing on worldwide colonial exterminations and twentieth-century case studies including the Armenian gecide, the Nazi Holocaust, Stalin's mass murders, and the Cambodian and Rwandan gecides. He identifies connections, patterns, and features that in nearly every case gave early warning of the catastrophe to come: racism or religious prejudice, territorial expansionism, and cults of antiquity and agrarianism. The ideologies that have motivated perpetrators of mass killings in the past persist in our new century, says Kiernan. He urges that we heed the rich historical evidence with its telltale signs for predicting and preventing future gecides.
- Author BiographyBen Kiernan is the A. Whitney Griswold Professor of History, professor of international and area studies, and the founding director of the Genocide Studies Program at Yale University (www.yale.edu/gsp). His previous books include How Pol Pot Came to Power: Colonialism, Nationalism, and Communism in Cambodia, 1930-1975 and The Pol Pot Regime: Race, Power, and Genocide in Cambodia under the Khmer Rouge, 1975-1979, published by Yale University Press.
- Author(s)Ben Kiernan
- PublisherYale University Press
- Date of Publication03/03/2009
- SubjectHistory: Specific Subjects
- Place of PublicationNew Haven
- Country of PublicationUnited States
- ImprintYale University Press
- Content Note38 b-w illus. + 31 maps
- Weight884 g
- Width155 mm
- Height234 mm
- Spine53 mm
- Format DetailsTrade paperback (US)
Best-selling in Non-Fiction Books
Save on Non-Fiction Books
- AU $9.86Trending at AU $16.88
- AU $11.51Trending at AU $18.86
- AU $24.83Trending at AU $25.37
- AU $64.07Trending at AU $75.12
- AU $31.50Trending at AU $37.08
- AU $24.09Trending at AU $28.32
- AU $9.83Trending at AU $13.35
This item doesn't belong on this page.
Thanks, we'll look into this.